Originally Posted by Anonymous
Did anyone go to any of the winter PLL camps in Florida? Were they fun?

If by fun you mean expensive- then Yes!

I heard from parent of kid that attended that coaching was excellent but talent/competition was so-so.
Until these kids get older, these are the highest degree example of Money Grab in youth sports, preying on gullible parents who think Little Johnny might get more playing time on his AAA team if he gets mentioned on Instagram. “Apex is excited to have so and so from some unheard of team in Alabama.”

You know, my kids love to play and we have done all kinds of camps, national teams, etc. Some bring the kids lots of value, others, not so much (aka how are you "providing detailed player evaluations" when nobody has an iPad or a clipboard all week). The two things we have not fallen for (yet) are the Apex middle school events ("coached by the only PLL players we can afford!") and the PLL Junior scam. My bar for "lax training value" is pretty low but those two events are the two I can't seem to get behind. Seriously I haven't heard a good enough argument for the $800 price tag for each.

Numerous kids and parents getting pulled into the snake oil salesmen selling “invite only” camps and national club teams when in reality they will take anyone with a pulse and a credit card.

“Yeah we are going down to Florida next week, Tad got picked up by this national team. After that we go to California. Lots of exposure for him.”

To be fair, this is just a logical extension of the insane club lax scene from DC to MA.
"We develop players."
"Nobody places more elite players in elite HS programs."
"We're basically an unofficial recruiting hammerhead for all the D1 programs in this state."

When, at most, what your son will get is a solid training program focused on this spring's HoCo season and tournaments leading up to Naptown.

Where do you think the majority of the elite HS players in the area come from?

You're mixing up cause and association. The elite clubs are not grabbing average kids from birth and turning them into lax all stars. Especially because you can't create speed and height in Tuesday practices. The elite reps they get in 6th grade...or 2nd grade.. are not why they make varsity in 10th. It's also worth considering the burnout rate of elite clubs.. .how many kids leave elite and then leave lacrosse entirely. Stop trying to make it something it's not.