Originally Posted by Anonymous
IL doesn't seem to know who is committed. My kids club team has a ton of committed kids. IL shows about 25% of who is committed.

I’m familiar with a few of the top HS teams and top 2024 club teams on LI. IL has missed no commits on any of the 2024 club teams. IL is only missing one commit regarding all the HS teams that I have knowledge of. And that player isn’t what you’d call “top tier”, so my guess is they may miss “lower profile” players. Doubt they miss any higher profile kids. Does that make sense, based on your experience?

How does Inside Lacrosse assign stars to the player?

It represents a combination of Ty Xanders personal opinion and natural bias toward MD prep kids, and the frequency in which he sees a particular player. If he doesn’t see/evaluate a player, player has no shot at making his rankings (obviously). He doesn’t get to any LI games unless it’s playoff games. If your kid gets to a playoff game or two, that could be huge, if he does well. Conversely, Ty goes to a lot of MD prep games and know the landscape they’re intimately, which gives those players a huge leg up on anyone outside of MD. Hey. It’s lacrosse. Nothing is fair and equitable. Absolutely nothing.

Ty saw my kid once and gave him a very high Eval rating that he very rarely gives out. Based on only that score, he should be a 5 star, comparatively speaking. But he never saw my son play again. So he gave him an unranked 4 stars. That how it works. Not really that big of a deal when all said and done. My son got a great offer from a great school and program, since any self respecting college coach will do their own evaluations. That said, a higher ranking would definitely had a big impact. Moral of the story: Does the IL ranking matter to college coaches? Most definitely. But it’s also not the end all, either. Coaches will do their due diligence. Having the NLF rankings definitely helps to give an additional perspective on the players. And the NLF doesn’t have the MD bias that Ty has.

NLF has a Matt Chandick bias and you need to put money in his pocket to get ranked.

Stop the BS. There is no ideal algorithm here. It’s not science. It’s opinion which is based only on the players that are evaluated and how many times they have been evaluated. Xanders lives in MD and is an x-prep school kid, so he spends more time in MD than outside MD. Prob like prep school kids since he was one. Chandiks is more tied to the northeast,!lives in the NE, so spends more time with NE teams. If your kid lives in the NE, it’s more likely that he will be seen far more by Chandik than Xander. Based on that, he should get a more fair/accurate Eval by Chandik, than Xander. Of course, that’s based on the assumption that both Chandik and Xander are equally competent evaluators. Rankings aren’t perfect. No where close. They just give a basic framework of talent, but even that isn’t accurate. After sayin all that, one might assume that, if they aren’t at all accurate, then they can’t be too important. Unfortunately, that’s false. While rankings aren’t the end-all, and coaches will usually do their own due diligence on their recruits, these rankings are hugely important in the recruiting process, from my experience. They very literally mean big scholarship bucks and admission to elite schools. Yes, they create huge demand for top players which equals big time opportunities, scholarship and NIL dollars and the potential of long term high paying employment after graduation.

Agreed with most but one "assumption that both Chandik and Xander are equally competent evaluators" to much weights on these two shoulders.

You guys are getting lacrosse confused with a big 4 sport like football . NIL dollars ? High paying jobs after school ? Hahaha....delusional . I will tell you first hand that a friend of mine helped a kid from the town he lives in get an interview after school, kid graduated from a too D1 school. Didn't make it last the first round of interviews because when they asked him what he did in school he said " I played lacrosse'....bye, bye . Next is what they said . Lacrosse is doing nothing for a kid after school so stop the nonsense. And NIL money lol.....the sport probably costs D1 schools more money than it takes in . You're forgetting that they can't even pack half of a stadium even on the professional level so NIL money? Give me a break

If you believe doors are not opening for kids after they graduate because they played lacrosse you have no idea what your talking about. I will tell you first hand lax players get opportunities because they played in college.

Bro, that guys a troll. Ignore trolls and they move on to the next board.

The real opportunities come from tier 1 schools with rich lacrosse tradition. These schools have big time boosters who take care of their own. They work with the players as mentors, from day 1 in school. The kids graduate, and they are in a different league, opportunity-wise. These programs are why the sport of lacrosse is as corrupt as it is at the youth level and why it is as lucrative as it is for the people who profit from it. Parents will stop at nothing to get their kids in one of these programs. Four years of 70k prep school. Holding back kids for one to two years. PG years. Clubs and national teams. Showcase and specialized training and conditioning programs. And if a kid is from outside the east coast, they fly to every tourney and showcase. Spend 6 consecutive weeks each summer in a hotel room. $$$. This is the definition of insanity. But thousands of families do it, because they know it could set their kid up on a path for life.

Right....that's why there are guys on long island working sales jobs and doing lacrosse clinics at night. Very very successful. Lacrosse doesn't gaurantee you a thing ...if you think you're kid is walking into a top investment bank with sub standard grades because he played lacrosse you're living on another planet

Hey troll, never said these kids didn’t have the grades. Kids that go to these tier 1 schools have the grades. They have the work ethic. They have the smarts. They have it all. They excel on and off the field. In short, they are winners, who also have tremendous time management skills, as demonstrated by playing D1 lax at the highest level while studying at the highest level.

Nothing will be given to these kids or any kids. But these boys are a proven commodity. Proven winners. They earn these post-lacrosse employment positions.

The difference is, these kids will get OPPORTUNITIES that most will never get. These opportunities are there simply because of lacrosse and their affiliation with these elite schools/programs. Thats how it works, at the highest level.

I’m guessing your kid went to Farmingdale state, in which case your opinions may be somewhat valid. But that’s a world away from what we are discussing here.