Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]My 2025 son is a very late bloomer and hasn’t hit his spurt yet. He is about 5 5 130 and will likely end up about 6 foot according to doctor. Voice hasn’t changed yet. He probably has the talent to play mid level D1 according to his coaches but they said because of his size he might get overlooked this summer. Club coach suggested that if he really wants to play D1 that he plays for a 2026 club team and do a PG year after HS which would make him a 2026 recruit. This seems like cheating to me but I see how that can make sense. Thoughts? Thanks

Why would he suggest playing 2026 if he is a 2025 ? That is called CHEATING. Why not let him play 2025 until HS is over? If your son chooses to do a PG year and develops physically and is good he will get recruited.

My 2025 son played club lax up until a year ago fir a good club. He is a goalie and is pretty good but has not hit a big growth spurt yet. He is 5'6 and 120lbs soaking wet. His club coach asked him to reclass (the Coach's kid was also reclassing). My wife and I talked with our son about it and he looked at us like we had two heads when realizing he would leave his friends and repeat 8th grade. He is also a very good student.

After our discussion he decided to leave club lax entirely and focus on the sport he loved the most, soccer. He changed soccer clubs and is on a very competitive team. His coach is a division 1 college coach for over 30 years for a local college. And his team plays in two leagues, one on age and one UP. His coach tells the boys you want to get better, you have to play against bigger and stronger kids.

Lax is such a cesspool it is disgusting. It is the only sport where kids play DOWN and pound their chests. It is a shame because I love the sport but it is unwatchable now with all the slimy people involved.

Good luck to your son in whatever choice he makes. But remember most of these club coaches really could care less about the kids, it all about marketing the Club name.[/quote

If he is going to PG he should play 2025 then switch to 2026 when he is a rising senior. If he stays with 2025 that summer he will only get seen by D3 coaches.

True. The PG year allows a player to get another summer to be seen by D1 coaches. First as a rising junior on his HS grad year team and a second time as a rising senior playing for his PG grad year team. Sometimes late bloomer kids PG because they didn’t get recruited their junior year and think or were told that an additional year will give them time to grow which will get them noticed. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes a D1 coach will tell a kid that they liked them but don’t have room for them for their HS grad year but have a spot for them the following year. Sometimes a high academic coach will like a kid but his grades aren’t good enough and will suggest a PG year for that reason. Bottom line is that there are a number of reasons to PG and if you can afford to do it and your kid wants to do it there isn’t much of a downside to doing it other then the potential of not getting recruited to play D1 because you did it which happens sometimes.