Originally Posted by Anonymous
If the coaches at Northwestern wanted her they would have gotten her in. The above post said "Northwestern can bring in pretty much whoever they want", it did not say "they will admit anyone". Northwestern has more leeway with admissions than just about any Top 10-15 Academic School. That does not mean that they will wave the admissions wand for every player. Simply because a parent gives a reason/story/excuse for why a player didn't get into, receive an offer from or go to a particular school doesn't mean that it's true or that is the way things will be for everyone. I have read many times on here how a player needs "specific" academic credentials to get into an Ivy as if all Ivy's have the same admissions requirements or bring in the same level of athlete (they do not). It appears that many people make statements based on one individuals experience. Remember, every situation is different and what is required of one player (academically) may be very different than what is required for another player even at the same school.

Every school is different, every player is different, every recruiting class is different. One player might be able to get into Duke, Northwestern, Princeton, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn and Vanderbilt with a 93 GPA, 1200 SAT, 29 ACT etc... and another player may be told that they need to have 98GPA, 1350 SAT, 32 ACT (if test scores are needed...) Every single situation is different and so are the requirements for every student athlete, there is a top recruit and a bottom recruit in every class at every school.

.....So that is exactly the point. A Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, Princton, UPenn, etc... can squeek a couple lower achieving students through admissions and will choose to do so if they are studs (certainly not always the case), but even if they can sneak one or two in, they cannot get an entire entering class through admissions. Maryland has a vast advantage, as it is not an academic powerhouse, or remotely close. Graduate HS and they can get you in, and an entire entering class just like you. I know at least a couple current MD players who originally committed to their top choices elsewhere, and these kids were the top choices for those programs, but coaches couldn't get them in, so they ended up going to MD. The message that is often pitched on these threads over and over is "if they are good enough, grades don't matter, the coach will get them in". Too many parents sell this idea on here and to their kids, and you hear kids saying it too. It is not the truth and a really bad path to send these kids down. Study hard, get great grades, work hard on the skills and training, do both and you will have all your options open to you. Push that idea on the kids and they will be much better off for it.

Below is simply not true…

@@. “The message that is often pitched on these threads over and over is "if they are good enough, grades don't matter, the coach will get them in". Too many parents sell this idea on here and to their kids, and you hear kids saying it too.” @@

I have never read a single post that stated “grades don’t matter” and that message is certainly not pushed “over and over”.

Yep! While some kids with bad grades get offers from Syracuse, etc., their offers often stipulate they need to hit a certain GPA to maintain that offer. I know of one Syracuse recruit that has this--Northwestern was interested, but they couldn't pull off getting her admitted due to her grades. Amazing lacrosse player that spent most of her time at practice, etc, but didn't put the same amount of time into her academics.

Just another worthless post from someone trying to disparage "Syracuse etc"... Just as some other posts tried to knock Maryland.

"I know of one".... "One of my daughters teammates"... You might as well say "my sisters daughters teammates cousins mothers brothers girfriends sons girlfriends sister was Stanfords #1 recruit and was told that she needed a 100 GPA and a perfect score on her SAT/ACT in order to get in..., she didn't have the grades for Stanford so she went to XYZ University..."

It is all just BS. Not sure why people post such [Censored] when they really know nothing. I guess they have their agenda and obviously want to promote certain schools and knock others while somehow hyping the players who commit to a particular school and tearing down players who commit to other schools.

Very transparent and sad.

If you cannot handle the truth, so be it. I know the player, I know the parents, I know the GPA. If you are sub 3.0, it gets harder the closer you get to a 2.0. Then they put a requirement on getting your GPA up so you can actually get in. This 100% happens.

I have no bias against Syracuse, I think it's a great school and the campus is gorgeous IMO, great coaches, etc.

The NU comment is 100% true, too, since it was a point of discussion with the club director and the coaching staff, as well as the player. Sometimes the truth hurts and I'm sorry I hit a nerve.

You didn't hit any nerves and everybody can handle the truth. Everyone knows grades are important and there have been no posts on here stating otherwise. For some reason you find the need to state the obvious. Thanks for the brilliant insight, we would have never guessed that it is important to do well in the classroom. Did you really say "I know the player", "I know the parents", "I know the GPA".... are you kidding? Master of the obvious, what a clown. Get over yourself.
If the coaches at Northwestern wanted her they would have gotten her in. The above post said "Northwestern can bring in pretty much whoever they want", it did not say "they will admit anyone". Northwestern has more leeway with admissions than just about any Top 10-15 Academic School. That does not mean that they will wave the admissions wand for every player. Simply because a parent gives a reason/story/excuse for why a player didn't get into, receive an offer from or go to a particular school doesn't mean that it's true or that is the way things will be for everyone. I have read many times on here how a player needs "specific" academic credentials to get into an Ivy as if all Ivy's have the same admissions requirements or bring in the same level of athlete (they do not). It appears that many people make statements based on one individuals experience. Remember, every situation is different and what is required of one player (academically) may be very different than what is required for another player even at the same school.

Every school is different, every player is different, every recruiting class is different. One player might be able to get into Duke, Northwestern, Princeton, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn and Vanderbilt with a 93 GPA, 1200 SAT, 29 ACT etc... and another player may be told that they need to have 98GPA, 1350 SAT, 32 ACT (if test scores are needed...) Every single situation is different and so are the requirements for every student athlete, there is a top recruit and a bottom recruit in every class at every school.

.....So that is exactly the point. A Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, Princton, UPenn, etc... can squeek a couple lower achieving students through admissions and will choose to do so if they are studs (certainly not always the case), but even if they can sneak one or two in, they cannot get an entire entering class through admissions. Maryland has a vast advantage, as it is not an academic powerhouse, or remotely close. Graduate HS and they can get you in, and an entire entering class just like you. I know at least a couple current MD players who originally committed to their top choices elsewhere, and these kids were the top choices for those programs, but coaches couldn't get them in, so they ended up going to MD. The message that is often pitched on these threads over and over is "if they are good enough, grades don't matter, the coach will get them in". Too many parents sell this idea on here and to their kids, and you hear kids saying it too. It is not the truth and a really bad path to send these kids down. Study hard, get great grades, work hard on the skills and training, do both and you will have all your options open to you. Push that idea on the kids and they will be much better off for it.

Below is simply not true…

@@. “The message that is often pitched on these threads over and over is "if they are good enough, grades don't matter, the coach will get them in". Too many parents sell this idea on here and to their kids, and you hear kids saying it too.” @@

I have never read a single post that stated “grades don’t matter” and that message is certainly not pushed “over and over”.

Yep! While some kids with bad grades get offers from Syracuse, etc., their offers often stipulate they need to hit a certain GPA to maintain that offer. I know of one Syracuse recruit that has this--Northwestern was interested, but they couldn't pull off getting her admitted due to her grades. Amazing lacrosse player that spent most of her time at practice, etc, but didn't put the same amount of time into her academics.

Just another worthless post from someone trying to disparage "Syracuse etc"... Just as some other posts tried to knock Maryland.

"I know of one".... "One of my daughters teammates"... You might as well say "my sisters daughters teammates cousins mothers brothers girfriends sons girlfriends sister was Stanfords #1 recruit and was told that she needed a 100 GPA and a perfect score on her SAT/ACT in order to get in..., she didn't have the grades for Stanford so she went to XYZ University..."

It is all just BS. Not sure why people post such [Censored] when they really know nothing. I guess they have their agenda and obviously want to promote certain schools and knock others while somehow hyping the players who commit to a particular school and tearing down players who commit to other schools.

Very transparent and sad.

If you cannot handle the truth, so be it. I know the player, I know the parents, I know the GPA. If you are sub 3.0, it gets harder the closer you get to a 2.0. Then they put a requirement on getting your GPA up so you can actually get in. This 100% happens.

I have no bias against Syracuse, I think it's a great school and the campus is gorgeous IMO, great coaches, etc.

The NU comment is 100% true, too, since it was a point of discussion with the club director and the coaching staff, as well as the player. Sometimes the truth hurts and I'm sorry I hit a nerve.

You didn't hit any nerves and everybody can handle the truth. Everyone knows grades are important and there have been no posts on here stating otherwise. For some reason you find the need to state the obvious. Thanks for the brilliant insight, we would have never guessed that it is important to do well in the classroom. Did you really say "I know the player", "I know the parents", "I know the GPA".... are you kidding? Master of the obvious, what a clown. Get over yourself.

The post obviously wasn’t for you, clown. The post prior stated I was trying to disparage Syracuse and it was all made up. Try some anger management classes, as you seem like you’re a real peach.