Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Now is the time for most to start being or looking to get on a top club. Dont listen to naysayers. Now is the time to start training for MIAA HS and beyond.

Get some extra training too. and NOW . Think about holding back if you arent already a prefirst or heldback . Dont listen to negative comments about holding back. Boys born after Jan and on age should be seriously considered for this if you are thinking D1. You have very little chance play as starter on top club and get recruited to D1 without holding back.

You will thank me later for this sage advice.

Everyone knows I am right. Give me facts, not emotion if you think differently. Time is a wastin

Actual advice:
1) Get your son on the best club team, he can make, where he will actually see reps, ASAP.
2) Get extra training and make sure it's not lame. At this age it should be about form, basic IQ, and footwork, agility, and speed. That's it.
3) Don't yell at him when he is playing. Even if you played, he will probably be better than you ever were. Your yelling makes him detest the game.

Truth bombs:
1) Getting your son on an elite team will not keep him on that elite team when it matters in HS.
2) The lies about "We don't cut existing players" and "We develop players here" are just that - outright lies. Your 2031 elite team is just a money maker, and the players are just placeholders until a double holdback from TX, CA, or FL magically shows up at a tournament.
3) Yes, statistically speaking, if you think your son is going to start on an elite club HS team or elite HS team, he will need to be held back. Ask a parent of a 2028 or 2027 about that this year. They'll tell you what they are seeing.
4) Half of athletes quit sports by age 12, and another half quit by age 15. Conduct your "angry drive home after the game" talks accordingly. Current 8th graders who played for FCA, 91, Hawks, etc in 4th grade have quit the sport entirely already.

How do you square "Actual advice #1" with Truth Bomb #2? They seem to run counter to each other. For player development at this age, I would focus on a club or rec team that has coaches who actually teach the game the right way. There is a reason beyond holdbacks and reclass that Long Island and Baltimore continue to pump out high IQ players. They are taught the correct way to play early on.