Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm not a holdback guy myself, but I don't understand the issue with the Crabs player. I think the facts are as follows:

He played on 2026 crabs last year.

He repeated 8th grade starting this fall and now is on the 2027 Crabs.

He played in an off-season gimmicky tournament with his 2027 team and they won the event. woo hoo.

He and/or his families posted his highlights on social media.

what is the big deal with any of this? Every class from 2027 and up in all good programs, especially Crabs, is full of holdbacks, 2028's are catching up too. Why is there an issue with this player?

I think the issue may be no one likes a cheater.

Except that it's not cheating. The kid is currently enrolled in 8th grade - that's the only applicable rule. And which team(s) can you confirm are all entirely on-age?

If an older kid is playing younger kids - its cheating. The rules are wrong.

No it’s not. Just because you say it doesn’t make it so.

I think I can explain what is going on here for those that are confused....

- Drip Kings are an "All Star" team consisting of players from the Elite Division of HOCO.

- They have at least one confirmed holdback on the team (Crabs kid) but probably more. They are in 8th grade. Someone is accusing them of being in 9th grade, which if true is fool, but probably not true. They are technically within the "rules". Which is kind of a cluster because in reality there are no rules in regards to age/grade in youth lacrosse. It's up to each tournament and league to make their own rules. The only org close to a governing body is US lacrosse and they have zero power to mandate anything to anyone.

- Drip Kings have been flying under the radar this summer because they have been entering tournaments that are full of teams with holdbacks so those parents are used to it and somewhat tolerate it if it means that their team is winning with those holdbacks. These teams are the ones that play in Elite HOCO and consist mostly of private school boys.

- The Drip Kings are playing down in the MMILL which consists of AA and AAA teams (Kelly Post, Breakers, Sidewinders) who are mostly public school non holdback boys.

- They entered a Sixes tournament where half of the teams are A-AA level teams with close to zero holdbacks, But probably a summer birthday or two that are pre-first kids, not kids repeating 8th grade for sports reasons.

- The A-AAA teams are pissed because these guys decided to play down against on age kids (well.... mostly on age and most certainly no where near the number of holdback/reclass kids up in the Elite level teams).

- Someone decided to out the Crab kid by number and initials when they posted a vid of him dunking on Team MD Red, which got all the lax Mom's clutching their pearls and crying "they are only children!"

- All the holdback apologists claim they aren't breaking the rules. Everyone else is fed up with them.