Originally Posted by Anonymous
Any advice for parents of a 7th grader to avoid my kid getting burnt out?

My kid is a football, hoops, and lax defender, but lax is his best sport. There's always pressure to do more lax to keep up with the other kids. I'm wondering if it would be a mistake for him to quit hoops to play more lax in the winter (which he was considering this year). Not sure if the multi-sport approach fights off the lax burn out, but I'm hoping so.

I appreciate all of you sharing your stories.

I think most of us have been in same situation. Ultimately, I let my son do whatever he wanted to do. And it’s worked out great, when I wasn’t sure that it would. Couple things you have to consider. How good is your son at lax and how far does he want to take lacrosse. If you think he’s average and will ultimately be an average player, then multi sports route is fine. But if he has serious potential to be elite, and he has the drive to get there, then missing lax will likely put him behind. At the end of the day, let him do what he wants to do. The only way he will be successful is for him to do it for himself. My son was always a top player in lax, football and basketball. When he hit HS, he dropped football and basketball and focused only on lax. I didn’t like this direction, but I felt strongly that he needs to do what he is happy doing. That means, let him make the decisions. Long story short, he got offers from almost every top D1 team out there and is going to a top D1 school for nothing. Again, my advise to you is, let your son make the decision.