Originally Posted by Anonymous
We take anyone on the redhots. If you can play.
We don’t care who you play for, if you wanna try us, we’ll make it happen.

The Circuit update. BBL backed out because they couldn't field a competitive team under the rules: June 1 2008 cutoff with 3 older exceptions. Red Hots were the best as they fielded a much different squad than the one in NJ a few weeks ago. They had a good mix of Baltimore and Hawks stars. The fee to play with them was minimal. Nation's Best had the largest number of teams under their 3Step umbrella but got rolled by Red Hots. Team 18 and Project MW were a distant 3rd and 4th but had some really good players. Nationals has really faded as their best players left because of the cost and the dense decisions of the management with regard to rosters. The rest of the field really drops fast. 3d Nationals barely field a team of 15 and didn't resemble the NJ team at all. Where were those giants playing middie and pole?

Several of the teams were asking for free agents the days before the tournament. The age and class verification dropped a bunch of players. One conversation overheard was how players tried to register by saying they were reclassing this year and how other tournaments allowed this practice. No go here.

The other truly noticeable item was the size of the players. Without the future re-classes; the current 9th graders playing down due to verification of class; and the 3 player exception on June1; the players on the field were much physically smaller than any summer tournament I've been to in years. The play on the field got better after games 1 and 2 as teams got to know each other a little more.
Thx Circuit pub relations guy…I promise you BBL backing out had nothing to do with age. It had everything to do with the quality of the teams entered in the tournament. They found a much more competitive tournament down in DE, it’s that simple. If Red Hots is beating everyone by 15 that tells you all you need to know. And that Nationals team wasn’t National at all, just local kids and none of the top PA kids play for them.

It's debatable whether BBL found better competition in Delaware. They went 5-0 and beat three teams (Sweetlax Carolina, Sweetlax Florida, MadLax) by a combined score of 43-4. I would be willing to bet that all three of those teams have plenty of holdbacks, yet BBL's on age team was not challenged at all. So certainly those games were not good competition. Then BBL had a decent game against Sweetlax Upstate (11-7), and a one goal win over Team 10. Would BBL have rolled through the Circuit field that easily?

BBL beat Madlax 9-2 in a game that I heard was a little closer than the final score - but obviously still a decisive win. To bring this back to the mid-Atlantic, I was surprised Madlax didn't perform better. They beat BBL in July, seemed to be getting better as the summer went on, and they didn't lose any players of consequence between summer and fall. From their scores in DE, it looks like their offense is struggling.