Originally Posted by Anonymous
Another lowell moment: we just left the Marist camp along with the entire 91 roster. Their director needs to warn these kids that all colleges will reply with their camp info and that doesn’t mean they’re interested. Don’t waste your money!

Why is it a waste of money ? How else are these kids going to get in front of a coach right now ? Maybe those girls are interested in Marist. You shouldn't cast such a wide blanket text like that. I bet some of those girls have Marist interested in them.

I think the blame should be on directors and the college coach and club coach here. Few things went wrong potentially:
1. Directors and club coaches should be helping girls navigate this process. A view on sports recruits, a video watch, etc does not mean interest. College coaches are sending replies inviting kids to camps regardless on if they have seen them or not. They need to bring fluff kids in to fill the camp and give their actual recruits someone to play against. The individual clubs, not just 91, should be making sure their players know this. So many of my daughters friends get so excited when they get a view on sports recruits, but then go to all their friends and say that xyz is interested in them when in reality all they did was click your profile. It does not mean ANYTHING 90% of the time.

2. Shame of college coaches for blasting their camps the way they are. It gives false hope to these kids which isnt right. It also is forcing kids to spend money they could be using to go after a school that may be a better fit.

3. Club coaches should be guiding kids to know when they are out of their league. Marist is not a great program, so if we are talking about marist I think most long island kids could earn a spot there, but in general there should be more guidance on if skill level matches a program.

4. If a kid is interested, by all means go, just know that many schools are working through their lists from summer and if you aren't on it you are going to have to hope the ones on the list dont accept.

Oh I forgot only the top 20 teams have great programs. Give me a break. Marist is a fine school with a good lacrosse program. So what if they arent in the top 20. You guys need to stop living through your daughters.

Top program to bottom program it's a business. When you register for a camp or prospect day you get redirected to the coach's llc or corp. web site, not the school's website at least in the majority of cases. I just wish the lacrosse community would stop the smoke about making the sport more diverse. Giving some inner city kids free equipment won't help. What happens if one of these kids wants to play at the next level. How do they pay for prospect camps(you can't go for free due to ncaa rules) Even if they get scholarships from clubs, what about travel expenses for tournaments. We always here how lacrosse has been a rich kids sport. It is now more than ever.
Another lowell moment: we just left the Marist camp along with the entire 91 roster. Their director needs to warn these kids that all colleges will reply with their camp info and that doesn’t mean they’re interested. Don’t waste your money!

Why is it a waste of money ? How else are these kids going to get in front of a coach right now ? Maybe those girls are interested in Marist. You shouldn't cast such a wide blanket text like that. I bet some of those girls have Marist interested in them.

I think the blame should be on directors and the college coach and club coach here. Few things went wrong potentially:
1. Directors and club coaches should be helping girls navigate this process. A view on sports recruits, a video watch, etc does not mean interest. College coaches are sending replies inviting kids to camps regardless on if they have seen them or not. They need to bring fluff kids in to fill the camp and give their actual recruits someone to play against. The individual clubs, not just 91, should be making sure their players know this. So many of my daughters friends get so excited when they get a view on sports recruits, but then go to all their friends and say that xyz is interested in them when in reality all they did was click your profile. It does not mean ANYTHING 90% of the time.

2. Shame of college coaches for blasting their camps the way they are. It gives false hope to these kids which isnt right. It also is forcing kids to spend money they could be using to go after a school that may be a better fit.

3. Club coaches should be guiding kids to know when they are out of their league. Marist is not a great program, so if we are talking about marist I think most long island kids could earn a spot there, but in general there should be more guidance on if skill level matches a program.

4. If a kid is interested, by all means go, just know that many schools are working through their lists from summer and if you aren't on it you are going to have to hope the ones on the list dont accept.

Oh I forgot only the top 20 teams have great programs. Give me a break. Marist is a fine school with a good lacrosse program. So what if they arent in the top 20. You guys need to stop living through your daughters.

Top program to bottom program it's a business. When you register for a camp or prospect day you get redirected to the coach's llc or corp. web site, not the school's website at least in the majority of cases. I just wish the lacrosse community would stop the smoke about making the sport more diverse. Giving some inner city kids free equipment won't help. What happens if one of these kids wants to play at the next level. How do they pay for prospect camps(you can't go for free due to ncaa rules) Even if they get scholarships from clubs, what about travel expenses for tournaments. We always here how lacrosse has been a rich kids sport. It is now more than ever.

Going to disagree with you on this. You see a good amount of girls from either the “B” or “C” teams on top programs (M&D or YJ for example) or girls from lower clubs committing to top schools and high academic schools over much stronger girls all in the name of diversity. Good for them but for every spot given out there were much more deserving girls past over. The pressure is on these college coaches to make their programs look more diverse.

I was speaking to economic diversity.