Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
At the Club lacrosse prices, not to mention the money they make in the tournaments and selling swag, etc there should be zero dad coaches. It's not rec. I could live with a dad assistant coach with no control over players, etc, but that won't happen. The clubs let the dads coach because it saves them money......but it hurts the other 20-25 kids on the team that are actually paying the bills. It's a growing problem. Holdbacks are a debatable issue, but I don't think daddy ball vs. cost is one. It's a cancer at a lot of clubs.

Who the heck could you get to coach youth lax if they have no skin in the game? How much time would someone put into coaching for very little pay? Some dad coaches are quality coaches. Some are not. That is for owners and parents to decide.

Coach here. That's a laughable basis for a side hustle, "skin in the game." It is hardly a full time job or even a half time job, first of all (Sure, from March 15 - May 15 it approaches 20 hours/week). With each club team teaming bringing in $50K - $65K in dues, if a coach is getting "very little pay" (compared to other side hustles), that's his failure to negotiate. And once you have taken the money, if you don't like the terms or don't want to work hard, that's its own problem (a common one in this country, of course). If your son's coach is not working hard (practice starts late, coach forgot to verify roster for the league or tournament, coach forgets to bring balls to practice, coach just lets the kids scrimmage for entire practice), RUN.

I can get $3K teaching a sports management or sports trainer course at the community college (2 classes per year for $6K), or I can get $8K-$10K coaching a 4A or elite club that allows me to actually stretch my legs, spend time on the field with a stick in my hand. The choice is a no brainer. My "skin in the game" is performing as a coach so the kids improve, see some success on the field, and (important) so I get to keep the job next year!