Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by baldbear
Is it common place for girls to quit playing D1 Lacrosse? My daughter's school has had 4 already this Fall and talk of more to come. Does this happen all the time?

I was coursed with the task of following the entire 2013 class through graduation for USA lacrosse. It wasn’t easy but many Excel sheets later there was a 43% loss of lacrosse players over the four years from 2013 to 2017.

It’s like having two full time jobs in college if you play a D1 sport! It’s Very exhausting and many girls get burnt out and are miserable trying to do both well. The girls then realize what’s the most important job and choose to drop Lacrosse and think about their futures.

I edited the numbers as I found my final report. I was coursed with the task of following the entire 2013 class through graduation for USA lacrosse. It wasn’t easy but many Excel sheets later 45% played significant minutes in their last year. Another 17% were on roster but did not play significant minutes. 38% no longer played.

So, sounds like 1/2 no longer “played” D1 lacrosse by their last year. Something definitely to think about when picking a college! Choose a college you will be happy at, as if you were not going to be playing lacrosse there. Don’t let the schools lacrosse be the deciding factor.

So many great D2 and D3 schools that would probably be better fit and experience for girls. However, they have in their head that they want to go to a D1 school for the sport. Do lots of homework on different schools.

Pretty sure Baldbear looked at all levels DI DII DIII. I would be willing to be that the more competitive you get in the DI ranks the majority of players continue to play. By the way, where do you come up with 50% at the DI level? The number cited was 38% which means that 62% are still playing and I believe those numbers count players with career ending injuries. I bet if you look at Top 20 programs 80% plus are still playing in their senior year maybe higher.

So, sounds like you are pushing your own narrative / agenda.

Bald Bear thank you for the leg work and please correct me if I am wrong.

He stated 38% no longer play, and 17% were still on roster but did not play significant min. So, basically 38 + 17 basically no longer “play” by their last year. Doesn’t that equal 55% basically not playing in their last year? I just did his math. Not my narrative