Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who cares about 8th grade teams when MIAA lacrosse is now about 1 year transfers and out of state boarders?

Because they have a solid nucleus of local talent, they don't need to rely on out of state transfers to fill their rosters. BL has a solid 9th grade already in the school, but they need to supplement. McD didn't even have enough players to field an 8th grade squad last year, so obv. they need to look elsewhere. Not sure why CHC needs to bring in outside talent due to the sheer number of players in their program, but I guess the coach isn't satisfied with the talent of the kids in his program and needs to recruit over them.
CHC recruits so many so that they don’t play elsewhere. They’ll sit on the bench at CHC instead of playing at other schools. He does exactly what the Maryland womens coach does, stack the roster so other schools don’t get the players.

Probably accurate. My son is a 7th grader for a mid-range Elite program. He's a solid player, not starter, but first off the bench and he contributes pretty significantly. He's likely headed to BL. But it's for the ESS program, not lacrosse.

It seems like a couple top MIAA programs will take anyone, whether they expect them to play or not. My feeling is there is considerable pressure to use lacrosse to bolster enrollment numbers at these schools. But it does seem like some programs really are trying to keep kids from going to the competition.

Anecdotally, I'm seeing a lot of his teammates (depending on where they live) looking hard at Spalding (south), JC (north) and StP (Balt Co.). StP especially. So it will be interesting to see how the next few years in the conference shakes out. I expect the Crusaders to be much improved.