Originally Posted by Anonymous
From what I understand, it is the same formula the NCAA uses for their rankings. Some of the reasons it doesn't translate directly is because of the sheer number of club teams and then the fact the club teams sometimes play less games (depending on the club) both of which are factors which make a margin for error. Then, I think fall is also factored in which may also affect the rankings which we all know fall is kind of the the Silly Season.

I am not from LI so I have no horse in this race but I don't think 91 is messing with the rankings. The two things that people seem to misunderstand:

1) When someone says, well be beat "X" team or we win the NLF/NAL, etc - why aren't we ranked higher?". Lower seeds will sometimes beat higher seed but it doesnt make you higher because it depends on the outcome of all the other games you played

2) A lot of people look at the record but the strength of schedule does matter (as does margin of victory?). I see teams load up on cupcake tournaments and go undefeated and they wonder why they aren't ranked higher. Its because they played bad teams which affects the ranking. My kids team is a pretty decent team that sometimes beats but usually loses to teams in the top 40 in the country. So even though they may have losses, they play tough teams which keeps their rankings in the 50-60's.

And for those who say rankings are dense and why follow them must not watch college football, have any discussion over the greatest bands in the world, have your top 10 restaurants youve ever been to, ranked the greatest 3rd basemen in MLB history (Brooks), etc: its what we do as humans. We rank things - this just happens to have a numerical statistical evaluation assigned to it. The key is not to really care about it too much and look at it as a conversational piece or a loose representation of where your team stands. If it bothers you that much, just scroll on by.

👏🏼