Originally Posted by Anonymous
why does anyone care which is the best team in this age group? they are 13/14 year old girls - i like the line about backups being played - dont all the girls who make the team play equal?Why are they considered backups? I am sure the parents on the team like there kids to be called backups since they pay the same amount as the starters. Why pay the same amount as all the other girls and not play? If a girl is on the yj blue and does not play does that help her? I would rather my kid be on a different team and play then sit on the bench in 100 degree heat and watch other kids play - think about it. and why do the yj have so many differnt levels of teams only 1 is the best from what i hear. the rest is for what? Why have them?

People do care, The people who are involved in the very top teams- the players, the parents, the coaches, the college recruiters / coaches. If you tink no one is paying attention to the girls at this age you are dead wrong. The standouts from these teams are definately on the radar. It all depends on what your daughter aspires to. Of course sitting on the bench doesn't greatly help, but even those players will get playing time, so maybe its better than more playing time on a team with little expectations, maybe not. At bare minimum if your daughter has high expectations, she shuold be playing for one of the clubs at least in the conversation of being the best. As for the third and forth teams of yj, you have them because the girls still enjoy playing the sport and participating in tournaments. They will not be the girls going D1,and may not even want to play in college, but if they enjoy it, good for them.