Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My daughter went to two camps and played just okay at both. Wasn’t prepared for the ball hogging. One of the schools called Sept 1 and wrote a letter. She was probably the 2nd or third choice. Their first choice committed so that was that. The other school never contacted her, but several other much better lacrosse and academic schools did. She was offered official visits at 5 schools that people told us only recruit from camps, so that was a bit of a surprise. My daughter did email these schools regularly to express interest, so maybe that was a factor. She eventually committed to what was her first choice, so everything worked out. I would say that you really can’t listen to what other people tell you, because recruiting is different for everyone. These coaches are looking for very specific things, and you don’t know who may have been watching when your daughter caught their eye. My advice is to keep emailing the top 10 choices, have your club director reach out to the schools. Prioritize schools and try to set up visits in that order if possible (sometimes its, not which becomes tricky) If your daughter gets an offer at one of her top three, take it, because if you don’t it may be gone!

Thank you for the post. A question regarding the emails. My daughter is a 2024 and she has been emailing about 15 schools regularly. The emails are basically updates on highlight videos, where her team is playing during tournament season, attending prospect camps and she sent an email regarding her school transcripts. Are there other emails she should be sending?
Thanks

You are definitely doing the right thing! Keep saying that the school is your daughters first or top 3 choice. Maybe add something about the school and how she sees her self fitting in. Ultimately, if they want her they will call even if you don’t do any of that. When the coaches she’s interested she contact your daughter, be extremely proactive in setting up the visit asap. When you are there, as a parent, be a little bit of a salesman. explain how your daughter will help the program, let them know they’re several other schools interested in her. Tell them why they need your daughter. Be knowledgeable about the current players and strengths and weaknesses of the program. With my daughter we had a good idea of who would call based on sports recruits hits, but there were a few surprises. Don’t rule anything out, and don’t appear desperate. If possible try to see a few schools before you decide, my daughter committed to the 5th school she visited which was a risk that worked out for us, but I don’t know if I would recommend that. If you see a bunch of schools, you definitely get a better idea of where she will fit in best. Good luck to all!

--- "When you are there, as a parent, be a little bit of a salesman. explain how your daughter will help the program, let them know they’re several other schools interested in her. Tell them why they need your daughter. Be knowledgeable about the current players and strengths and weaknesses of the program." ----

Telling is not selling... and if you think college coaches want your opinion on how your daughter will help their program or why they "need" your daughter you are delusional. Coaches do not want the opinion of parents when it comes to their program, their players or of the parents daughter.