Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Cage, I agree with your point that there is no opt-out. However, there is still value. You are getting a magazine for a year (that most boys will want to subscirbe to anyhow). It's no different than when you sign up for a 5k race and the cost of signing up includes a tee shirt. Just bevcause I may not want the tee shirt, doesn't mean that the sign up fee didn't include value for the tee shirt.
Sorry, let's be clearer about our point.

The original poster attempted to extract the magazine value from the $125.00 application fee in order to state that the actual "tryout" price favorably compared to other clubs.

Our point was that the magazine subscription could have been valued at $0.01 or $124.99. Therefore, is the "real cost" of the tryout cost itself priced at $124.99 or $0.01?

Might be a silly point, but the real cost of the tryout is $125.00. Comparing components like the value of a magazine subscription seems significantly less important than looking at training time, practices, tournaments, and other value items associated with the full program.

I'm going to buy a pair of cleats and a lacrosse stick. The cleats cost $35 and the lacrosse stick costs $90. In total, I will spend $125.

Instead of cleats substitute Inside Lacrosse subsciption and instead of lacrosse stick substitute net tryout fee.

If I am comparing the prce of lacrosse sticks, I deduct the price of the cleats from the $125. Why shouldn;t I do the same with the fee (assuming I plan on paying for a subsciption anyhow)?

The point I will agree with you on is that fl$ is forcing people to purchase the lacrosse subsciption. However, most of the boys want the subsciption and will purchase it one way or another.

As far as the value of the subsciption is concerned, $35 seems to be the going rate. The market generally sets the value of products and that seems to be the case.

The point you agreed with is the main point - you don't have a choice. If that's the going rate for the subscription, not a volume discount, then why not make it $90 and let people decide if they want the magazine? Why should the club handle it?