Originally Posted by Anonymous
But I would say the majority of kids are not holdbacks. The majority of mid low recruited kids are on age but the majority of top recruits are holdbacks for 1-3 years. What’s lost in all of that is the poor souls who hold back who don’t get a better college selection than if they just stayed in their normal year.

Sorry but this is wrong. Majority of players on college rosters are not on age for their class. Top recruit lists are dominated by holdbacks. The lax world rewards holdbacks through clubs-preps-showcases-colleges. Competing with other players their age generally means failure or not standing out. Its really a pathetic system fueled by the wealthy who will game any system but justified of course.

Always happy to see chatter/posts about HV/Sect 1, but last night's post was a head scratcher until I realized that it was a continuation from June 19.
You're so bitter and resentful to in regard to holdbacks and ironically, the audience/area that you are a member of, Westchester/Fairfield Counties are full of wealth. The final rankings of Lohud lists Rye, Briarcliff, Scarsdale, Mamaroneck/Larchmont, Bronxville and Katonah; you 're truly tone deaf.

There is a holdback thread/conversation within the Maryland main forum, which you should be directed to.

The moderators should consider your posts to be problematic in nature.

There is a 2-part problem. 1. the growing trend of re-classing going into and at High School and 2. COVID and the NCAA.

It's a bit tough to gauge how many college players are "holdbacks" per se since everyone was given at least one extra year and most got 2 years of extra eligibility (sorry ivies). the result of that has been all the college rosters got bloated and you see 23, 24 and 25 year old "senior" and grad level players that you haven't seen much in the past. I hardly blame them. If I was given one more year to play college lacrosse, I don't know many that would turn that down. Some did, of course, but that combination has been a huge issues for the last 2-3 recruiting classes and will take maybe 2-3 years more to level out.

I can't say I blame some kids for trying to maximize their opportunities to get on a college roster by re-classing now. Some rosters in college have over 60 kids on them when a "normal" roster is in the 40-45 range. There's just more people for less spots.

Westchester, LI and CT used to be insulated from the holdback trend that happens in the mid-Atlantic and Boston area but that is becoming more the norm for the aforementioned reasons you listed. But that is why holdback talk have and will infiltrate all the forums as it ain’t just limited to MD. I am not for holdbacks but it is necessary for most to enter the top schools. What is lost are all those who do hold back where the extra year doesn’t benefit them because all we see are the successes. But it’s never going away because College coaches want the older player as do Clubs and those two entities govern the sport for the foreseeable future, not public high schools or US Lacrosse.[/quote]

Yes, the college coaches want the older (and therefore, better) players. The same is true in college hockey. Yet in hockey youth is played via birth year. Having a BY youth system is not inconsistent with college coaches using older players.