Originally Posted by Anonymous
PT can an issue caused by us parents too. We let our egos prevent us from playing our kids on the correct team and feel our kids must play on the best teams when they aren’t playing at that level. I was guilty of this and since moving my child to a different team that plays accordingly to her level of play she is much happier and seeing more PT & responsibilities. Wish my ego would have allowed this sooner. After all it’s our children’s turn to play the game and find what makes them happy. Hopefully this helps others facing this same issue we had in the past. Maybe she is a later developer and advances but if not she’ll be happy in the present moment.

This is a good realization and I think a good message and lesson learned for other parents to see and realize. I do agree that a lot of parents are unrealistic where their kid can play etc. Takes a lot to admit this though and a good message.

One honest question, when you all went to tryouts, was there any indication then that PT would be limited based on the level of other players etc? Just curious to how long it took to realize or recognize the move was needed or not seen during the original team's tryouts etc.
I agree that parents are sometimes overzealous in guiding their children. I am not blaming them because I don't think their actions are malicious and they are doing what thay think is best for their child. The only point I would add to the comment I am quoting is that parents should involve their children in making the decision. I in no way think the conversation should include comments like "you aren't good enough or as good as other children". I think the conversation should be primarily about whether they want to play for a team where they will have more or less playing time. They probably will choose playing on the team where they have the best/most friends anyway. It is not surprising that it is us adults that focus more on winning/losing, level of play/competition, college options, etc. Most children care more about having fun and being with friends.

These are all excellent points along with many other comments and thank you. I critically evaluated my child and honestly can say that there are 6-8 kids on the team who deserve more playing time than she is. But what we are struggling with is that the coach chose to play 14 kids and very clearly some of #9-14 are only marginally better and some are not better than the ~10 kids that was benched for several games. At least some of the benched kids could play 30% of the time. It makes no sense from coaching perspective and even if you win the several games, the best players can't even run anymore then you can't win in the semi or championship.