Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would like to get some perspectives. Is it off that a coach only play 14 kids out of a full roster? Not just one game but multiple consecutive games? Not championship game and not top 20 teams. Even the kids on the field complained that they can't run anymore. Many if not most of the benched kids were not weaker players than many kids who played a full game, may be weaker than the best player on team but not compared to the 14th kid. To make this worse, both kids and parents were blind-sided.

Is it right? No. Does it happen too much? without a doubt. The girls who aren't playing are pretty much subsidizing those you are.

OP here: Does it really happen that much in this age group. I can certainly see it in older age group but 14 girls can't really play several games in a row without subbing. They don't have that stamina yet. I understand the mentality of playing to win and I'm okay with that. But 14 girls? How about 16-18 in each game and with the your truly 6-8 top girls staying in and the rest can be on the field with playing time according to their ability?

Not playing your bench much when I counts certainly happens, but this specific scenario seems very odd. Not even subbing midis in back-to-back summer games? Has anyone asked what was up? Were they in contention for a tournament playoff? Only thing I can think was they were trying to keep goals allowed low/goals scored high in the event they needed it as a tie breaker and they thought they needed that specific crew to do it. Otherwise why not sub your bench in games against easier teams?

SW doesn’t really care about wins/losses until going into 8th grade. They tend to focus on fundamentals and getting everyone to a certain level of competency and get them game experience.

As they get older, the bench gets shorter