Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son is fairly new to playing club lacrosse and we are new to the landscape on the boys side in terms of all the teams/levels in the area. Can someone give a general breakdown of local clubs and levels? I know I can look at the GHCL for the 2030s, but as they get older, there seems to be more teams/clubs and what becomes more competitive or is it all age based? Also, are there clubs that don't have parent coaches at some point? Thanks!

What position does he play? Where are you located?

Goalie. Howard county area

No need to jump on the top level teams at this moment in time. Let your goalie develop. Best thing for him is to play on the worst possible team. That way he’ll see all the shots and work on his mental toughness. A lot of these top level teams will cut all the deadweight by the six grade. By then your goalie should be elite level. And will make any team. Now granite there’s a lot of politics, for example the crabs. And the only reason I picked them is because they seem to be the closest team to you. If you don’t plan on going to one of the powerhouse teams in the area MCD and BL for example then chances are your son will be cut unless he’s one of the best goalies in the area. Part of their business model is to use kids status on private school teams. They make people believe that they had something to do with your Kid going to one of those schools. As if they develop them. Play on the worst team in the elite level that way you develop and you can observe. Take these two years to scout each team. Beware of the teams with the highly social goalie moms and dads. If your son is better and tries out for their team they will turn all the parents against you and make your life miserable until you find another team.