Originally Posted by Anonymous
How impactful/useful are the various “prospect” days some of the high schools have for middle school players?

I’m a parent of a 7th grader/2027.

Great question, the answer is, it depends. If you're son's really good (top 2 or 3 at his position in Hoco Elite or a just a freak athlete) and the HC of the Program doesn't know you, then it could be very worthwhile, ie a coveted admissions slot and if you're at the right school, some aid, to attend and get noticed. If you're son is anyone else, it's a money grab just like the college prospect days are. I do believe putting your athletic kids in highly competitive lacrosse camps and scrimmages helps them determine whether they want to commit more time and effort at getting better. More of a self actualization exercise than prospecting though and clearly not free.

Makes sense. So then where do the coaches find middle schoolers? Do they just take who shows up and have a tryout and roll with it?

I know crabs and FCA have kids they are pointing to BL and CHC. I’d imagine the hawks and stm and Spalding are similar.

But what about everywhere else? I’m relatively new to the area and trying to understand the best way to get kids in front of the coaches.

Get use to ridin the pine @ CHC & BL unless you are a top top player. They will always accept you but rarely if ever play you otherwise. Consider other programs that will allow you to develop on the field. Consider schools that carry 30-35 on varsity roster. You will have a better shot. Good luck.
Ignore CH, LB, BL, STM and if you want a shot at really developing and seeing field.

You could even add McD to the list even though they carry that smaller Varsity roster. There are rising seniors there that never saw time in a competitive MIAA game this past season-and probably won't as seniors. You are only one junior/senior boarding school student transfer away from losing time on field as well at McD. Look @ JC, MSJ, Gilman & Severn. They provide the most opportunities as a freshman to be taught and see the field. Don't make the choice based on who will win the most games. That does not help when your son does not feel like he participated in the game and his uniform is clean.