Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would rather have shots on goal and shooting percentage closer together. A higher shots on goal means those shots were saved and basically a turnover. If a team is coached correctly a missed shot, not on goal, will remain offensive teams possession with another chance for a scoring opportunity. Miss small keep the ball.

Of course we would all like to see Shooting Percentage and Shots on Goal Percentage closer together.... However, the Stats presented represent the best attackers in the game so I'm not sure what attackers you would choose over them. The ball has to be put on goal in order to score so if you want to miss the cage good luck with that. Good attackers score on 50% or more of their shots (or very close to 50%) you simply are not going to find volume shooters doing better than that.

This whole discussion started when someone pointed out that CN was not a Ball Hog (which she is not). As a few of the earlier post pointed out, good attackers take high quality, high percentage shots and they put their shots on goal upwards of 80% of the time. I don't think a lot of coaches out there would try to change the game of any of the players listed.

Selfish players / ball hogs simply do not have stats that are in line with good attackers because they try to force it, take shots that should not be taken, shoot into the goalies stick (turnover that doesn't show up in the stats) etc... Their style of play is ugly and hard to watch, it hurts the team in a multitude of ways and their low shooting percentage and low shots on goal percentage are the result of selfish play. Oh yeah, good coaches do not tolerate selfish players.

On the boys / men's side you will see that good attackmen have a lower Shots on Goal Percentage but they will also have a lower Shooting Percentage, I bet the differential is similar.

Wow you must be brutally long winded in person. If you don't think several of the above players are not selfish on the field then you simply do not know them. They all obviously want to win but many want the awards etc that go with scoring goals, its actually something that drives them. Part of the reason their shooting percentage is so high is they put up huge numbers against overmatched teams. CN shooting percentage probably way below your nonsensical " The really selfish ones will be below .375%." in her career against Morenno. I guess she is only selfish against the good goalies.

I don't think you know how to use "average" in statistics... The bottom line is if CN is such a selfish player hurting her team, her coach wouldn't play her day in and day out. You think you know better about coaching that the coach? Or do you just detest her style?

Obviously he doesn't know what selfish play looks like either. Love the way he moves the goal post, classic. Totally agree that selfish players hurt their teams in a lot of ways.