Originally Posted by Anonymous
There are a number of reasons players will move. We spend a lot of money to join these clubs. What if: 1: they don't see much playing time 2: aren't developing under current coaches 3: is an "A" type player playing in the B league 4: chose current team due to geographic location and will now travel further to play on a competitive team . I'm sure there are many other reasons.

We plan to have our DD try out for several of the top teams this mainly due to Reasons 2 and 3. I'd add for # 2, it's not only just coaches per say but overall development within the club etc but they go hand in hand. 2 and 3 I think are the top reasons why you will see a lot of movement to the top teams.

I'd be curious to see about # 1. Do players on the "A" teams of the top teams who aren't playing much stay with the club and move to their B teams or do they go to other A clubs that aren't as competitive etc? CClax will be in A next year with their win and I could see a few of the current A teams dropping back down to the B division, i.e. Limelight, Stars and maybe even Skywalkers.

Its rare for a team to move backwards in divisions. remember typically there are 10-12 A teams in 6th grade, 14-16 in 7th grade and 18-20 in 8th grade.

For girls on A+ teams, you will see some girls tryout for A teams where they can play more or play in a preferred position. You will see stars on A teams try out for A+ teams and B players tryout for A and A+ teams.

Also, remember some girls will want to switch team for reasons beyond lacrosse. Lots of cliques on 6th and 7th grade and this can break teams up.

Biggest X factor around this age is how many girls drop travel lax all together due to committments to other sports (typically soccer).

Remember though that between the top 4 teams, there are usually only around 15-20 spots which open up.

For reference last year at the 27 level for the top 3 programs)

M&D added 3 new girls (but cut 6 or 7 due to having an inflated roster due to having a Red team collapse at last second)
Heros added 5 girls (including 1 from White team and 1 from out of state)
BLC added 3 new girls.

At the 28 level, even all 4 top teams/clubs have holes they can fill for sure after seeing them all. I'd be curious to see how the new addition #s shape up for this year. Hero's might be the most crowded with a White team that is full of talent.

All teams definitely have holes to fill. However, you need to remember that Heros and M&D have a reputation for only adding girls who will be impact players. Very rare to add a girl from outside to sit on the bench (at least for these programs). Coaches don't want to add new upset parents for no reason.

SW on the other hand (and MDU to a lesser extent) have the reputation for taking the best 20-23 players regardless. This tends to create more issues on the sidelines which is also why there tends to be more turnover at these programs.

Great point about all the talent on Hero's White. Will be interesting to see where it all shakes out. My guess is they will prove up to A next year in an effort to keep some of the girls around.

Skywalkers older teams i would agree but 27,28 and beyond are just lucky to get a good player. I think Skywalkers and Nems are going to be lower teams