Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Rules I would like to see enacted, changed and/or enforced...

1. 8m, if the defense is called for a false start or a foul, the nearest hash is left open. Additional hashes will be left open for any additional fouls until a successful 8m can be completed.

2. Call the dangerous shot and dangerous follow through. I see way too many follow throughs hitting defenders and far too many to the head. Also, way too many balls being shot over a defender's head.

3. You play with the stick you draw with unless it is altered during play to no longer meet the required specifications. More simply put, no longer allow draw specific sticks unless you are going to play with it afterwards. If you choose to go the FOGO route, you have to eat the play clock as you sub.

4. Offsides is a green card offense and a 1 minute girl down penalty.

5. No checks are allowed to the bottom 1/3 of the offensive players stick. The checking and pulling at the bottom of the stick needs to stop. Any repetitive violations will be subject to a green card and a 1 minute girl down penalty and successive fouls after the first green card are considered a misconduct foul and should be issued a yellow card.

6. The defense, depending on the referees, seemed to be allowed to poke check at offensive players with the ball. This should stop as well. Enforce the existing rules that no checks towards the body are allowed.

7. Call the 3 second violation. Too many zone defenses are violating this rule without consequences.

8. Consider dropping the initial shot clock down to 75 seconds. I see very few shot clock violations and this will continue to speed up play.

9. There is more flopping than I have seen in the past. I also see goggles flying off of heads more often, with/without an actual foul occurring. Seems to me the holding of the head to draw a phantom foul/yellow card has progressed into other scenarios. Not sure how to deal with both scenarios, but additional emphasis should be added to try and address the flopping. It was a point of emphasis this season, but that did not solve the issue. Perhaps a more rigid definition for a block vs. a charge and what will be considered flopping and consideration for a green card for flopping (tough to administer).

10. I see some teams running illegal off ball screens as their entire offensive. Additional clarification and emphasis on calling these fouls needs to occur. You are giving these teams a huge advantage by not calling these fouls.

11. Any others?

I agree with the majority of your very thoughtful and spot on. Great points except #2. Why don’t you think a shot should not go over a defenders head. If a girl is 6ft she can safely shoot over the head of a 5’4” girls head. Way too many bad calls on fake charges and dangerous follow through. Defenders should not be stepping into the path of the ball. Not a fan of that call

Appreciate the discussion. I pulled the below from the NCAA 2022 rule book. This is just the mandatory card foul section but gets at what we are discussing. In my view Section 21.c should apply if shooting over a players body. Now, by the letter of the rule, it is a judgement call by the referee. If a player is close to their defender and can shoot over them in a safe manner and without hitting them with their stick on a follow through (a different foul) than I agree with you. Once there is distance between the shooter and the defender, then it is dangerous in my view. By rule, it is up to the shooter to ensure a safe propel, the defender has none. In terms of a dangerous follow through, section 21.a and b apply and again, the shooter is responsible for control of their stick, the defender has none for how they move and position themselves (other than a shooting space call).

Mandatory Card Fouls
SECTION 21. The following fouls necessitate the issuance of a card:

a. Dangerous Contact: No player’s stick may hit or cause their opponent’s
stick to hit the opponent’s head or neck. No player may cross check an
opponent’s shoulders or back from the rear position.
b. Dangerous Follow-Through: Following through with their stick in a
dangerous or uncontrolled manner at any time. This foul is inapplicable if
the goalkeeper moves into the path of the follow-through.
c. Dangerous Propelling: Propelling the ball with their stick in a dangerous
or uncontrolled manner at any time. Any shot directed at or taken without
regard to the positioning of a field player is dangerous propelling. This foul
is inapplicable if the goalkeeper moves into the path of the ball.
d. Illegal Body Ball in Goal Circle (Red Card): If a player, excluding the
goalkeeper, blatantly attempts to stop a shot on goal by playing the ball off
of one’s body while inside the goal circle.
e. Misconduct: The following are misconduct fouls:
1. Excessively rough, dangerous or unsportsmanlike play.
2. Repeated, persistent or flagrant violation of the rules.
3. Deliberately endangering the safety of an opposing player.
4. Baiting or taunting that is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or
demean others.
5. Excessive dissent or abusive language.
6. Coach leaving their coaching area. See Rule 1-14.
7. Any deliberate attempt to impede the officials from obtaining the goalscorer’s stick.
8. Any type of behavior that, in the official’s opinion, amounts to
misconduct.
f. Slash: Swinging the stick at an opponent with deliberate viciousness or
recklessness.
g. Suspended Player Substitutes (yellow card is issued to the head coach, see
Rules 6-36 and 6-37):
1. If a player who receives two yellow cards enters the field of play.
2. If a player who receives a red card enters the field of play.