Originally Posted by Powderfinger
I'd say the officiating is random at best, and really bad at its worst. I've got a defender so I'd really like to see dangerous shots get called before she gets hit. My kid once took a stick to the head, requiring stitches, but there was no foul because the ref didn't see it happen.

There is also the sense that LI refs call things differently than in MD, NJ, PA or VA. Every state's refs seem to see things differently, you never know what you're going to get until you're in the midst of a game.

I think there should be a fitness test for the refs too (all sports), because some of them can't get up and down the field, so how on earth can they make responsible calls?

It's a thankless job, though. Those refs get yelled at from the first whistle to the last. I wouldn't want the job. I find the most yelling is when parents feel the reffing is one sided. If a ref is making mistakes but calling it badly for both sides, then it's a little easier to shrug off.

I would also add that there are officials that have been fired as coaches due to their behavior in the past only to find a home as an official. Mind blowing really....and still no outrage?!?