Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
You would think one would be entitled to some type of feedback after a tryout. If no feedback, let it be known at the tryouts that the fools trying out are just making a donation to the club and the teams are already picked. Give a receipt for a tax deductible donation at least we can write it off as a charitable donation.
It's getting a litttle old on so many of these threads people crying about try outs being donations to the club. The only ones who have a gripe would be current players, especially the better ones who are in no danger of being replaced.
BOTC asks this question seriously : why do you feel this way?

Lacrosse has developed this incredibly strange tradition that just to tryout for a team, you have to pay a fee in most situations. This is not a college application process we are talking about here. This is about joining a youth sports team.

So, let us turn around the question on you if we may : Exactly why is it "OK" for teams to charge players to tryout for their ranks?

So there are obviously some costs involved in holding try-outs, from fields, paying coaches/evaluators, insurances to cover...whatever needs to get paid for. Does it all add up? I don't know. Why should the cost of the tryout be included in the players fees as a team member? (as someone suggested earlier in this thread) Why should current team members have to pay for new kids who may show up in masses to replace them get stuck covering these expenses? I see nothing wrong with any of these clubs charging a try-out fee to cover costs. The only argument I can support is "they charge too much". I have never been involved in the process, but I do know that, like everything else in life, costs add up quickly and usually to amounts much bigger than the numbers laymen add up quickly in thier heads.

well said