Originally Posted by Anonymous
what are the number if you take out conference games, that are required.

What would be the point of that? All games count, what purpose would taking out conference games serve?

It is what it is, Duke consistently plays a more difficult schedule than all but a handful of teams. Conference, non-conference it doesn't matter, they all count.

Why some on here want to spin it any other way seems very strange to me. What could their agenda possibly be? Personally I could care less who Duke plays but the facts are the facts, they play a very competitive schedule.

Results matter as well. I took the last 5 seasons (2021, 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016) from Duke's website (they actually have 1 result incorrect against Virginia Tech in the ACC conference tournament) and the final IWLCA rankings. Well, it is pretty clear why Duke's 2022 schedule is ranked 8th out 9 in the ACC, they are not winning competitive games. I count 51 games against top 25 ranked teams (in some poll years the IWLCA only did 20 so I also counted those receiving votes). Duke is 12-39 against ranked teams. During that 5 year stretch, they have 4 top 10 wins, a #8, 2 #9s and a #10. Those results get you their 2022 out of conference schedule as they cannot afford to lose any additional games outside of conference.

Apparently, results do not matter. Just compare the results of Duke and Stony Brook during the years that you looked at (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021).

Vs Top 20

12 - 36 Duke
16 - 12 Stony Brook

Vs Top 10

7 - 24 Duke
3 - 11 Stony Brook

Vs Top 5

1 - 19 Duke
0 - 8 Stony Brook

Can someone please explain how Stony Brook gets ranked in the top 10 most years while Duke struggles to get ranked in the Top 20? Sorry, I just do not get it. Stony Brook does not play a very difficult schedule and they rarely beat Top 10 Teams. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I guess now we all know why Duke is scheduling less competitive non-conference games. Beat up on those teams and maybe they will be rewarded.