Originally Posted by Anonymous
I live NC and can definitely tell you that the UNC camps are a HUGE draw. UNC has a massive social media following and they know how to market their camps and word gets around. On connectlax you can see a list of some recruits confirmed to be attending and some big names on there already.

Yes, we are here on LI and know lots of girls heading to UNC camp on the weekend. That camp will be at full capacity… It’s sold out! Not sure if that’s do good. May be too many girls?

There is much more actual coaching at UNC camp compared to other. Its not roll out the ball and play. There will be one session as a 7 vs 7 tourney, but the rest will be skill sessions with small-sided play. Much different than other camps which is why 4 of the to 6 programs of the country are there. a 22 daughter got multiple offers related to a UNC camp a couple years ago. (Neither from UNC).

Thank you! Nice to know it’s not a money grab to help pay the assistant coaches. Getting on the plane, paying hotel and car rental will be a little easier to justify now. Sounds like a good learning opportunity as well! That’s great.

UNC camp is not “much different “ than other camps. They all small sided play in stations followed by scrimmages. Be prepared for ballhogs. If your daughter gets stuck in a group with selfish payers, it can be rough. I don’t think anyone is going to these camps to learn lacrosse. This is not a “learning “ camp, it’s a chance to show what you can do. The commits will also be there trying to show off. UNC does have coaches from other programs unlike many others. If your daughter is a top player on a strong team, don’t waste your money, she will be recruited off the summer circuit to all these schools (UNC,BC, Duke, Virginia, etc) despite people telling you that you must attend the camp.
I live NC and can definitely tell you that the UNC camps are a HUGE draw. UNC has a massive social media following and they know how to market their camps and word gets around. On connectlax you can see a list of some recruits confirmed to be attending and some big names on there already.

Yes, we are here on LI and know lots of girls heading to UNC camp on the weekend. That camp will be at full capacity… It’s sold out! Not sure if that’s do good. May be too many girls?

There is much more actual coaching at UNC camp compared to other. Its not roll out the ball and play. There will be one session as a 7 vs 7 tourney, but the rest will be skill sessions with small-sided play. Much different than other camps which is why 4 of the to 6 programs of the country are there. a 22 daughter got multiple offers related to a UNC camp a couple years ago. (Neither from UNC).

Thank you! Nice to know it’s not a money grab to help pay the assistant coaches. Getting on the plane, paying hotel and car rental will be a little easier to justify now. Sounds like a good learning opportunity as well! That’s great.

UNC camp is not “much different “ than other camps. They all small sided play in stations followed by scrimmages. Be prepared for ballhogs. If your daughter gets stuck in a group with selfish payers, it can be rough. I don’t think anyone is going to these camps to learn lacrosse. This is not a “learning “ camp, it’s a chance to show what you can do. The commits will also be there trying to show off. UNC does have coaches from other programs unlike many others. If your daughter is a top player on a strong team, don’t waste your money, she will be recruited off the summer circuit to all these schools (UNC,BC, Duke, Virginia, etc) despite people telling you that you must attend the camp.

You are 100% correct! All I know is my daughter pretty much did none of the “you must do this or that” that is preached on this site. No camps, no video, did not have a recruit account of any type. Never talked to her travel coach or club director about recruiting. Simply used the platform that the travel team provided to go play in games in front of coaches. Was also fortunate enough to make and play on all the high profile select teams. She did email 12-15 coaches summer of recruiting year to make them aware her interest in the programs. Heard from all but 1 of those on Sept 1st, along with 40+ additional programs. This is not to brag, this is to show how crazy so much of this stuff is. On the other hand you will have players who spend exorbitant amount of time and money doing the “you must do this and that” that is preached on here, with crickets on sept 1st. No matter how you go about it, you need to have game to get recruited and if you do, a lot of this stuff is overkill. My advice is to simply send the coaches an email with your accolades and schedule at each tournament and invite them to come watch you play. If you come from a strong team and have some accomplishments to back it up, the coaches will show up to watch you. Impress on the field and you will hear from them. Do not wait to be discovered, proactively seek programs out and start the correspondence. Handle 100% of your recruiting yourself, do not expect or rely on your coaches or club directors. Good luck!

Trying to gain some perspective. Were the 12 - 15 programs that your daughter reached out to Top 10 caliber programs? While I agree with just about all of what you stated I believe your daughters experience sounds like maybe she was a top recruit.