Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is a good percent to get offered from a college for lacrosse?

That is a very broad question. Athletic Scholarships can be between Zero and 100% of total cost to attend the school (some will jump on this and say 100% athletic scholarships never happen in lacrosse, to that I would say never say never although 100% would be extremely rare). The NCAA maximum number of scholarships that a program can offer is 12 per year (12 split up among the entire team). Not every program is fully funded, meaning the program may not have the maximum of 12 athletic scholarships they may have fewer to spit up.

Coaches have their recruits "ranked / prioritized" and the top kids will be offered more than the lower ranked players i.e. the coaches #1 will receive more $$ than the #5 etc...

Top tier recruits (the type of player being offered $$ at Top 10 caliber programs will most likely be able to negotiate more $$ if they are willing to drop to lower tiered programs.

Theoretically a coach would have 3 scholarships to divide among an incoming freshmen class (although with the transfer portal and the extra year of eligibility things have changed).

Hypothetically:

#1 - 75%
#2 - 50%
#3 - 50%
#4 - 30%
#5 - 30%
#6 - 30%
#7 - 25%
#8 - 10%
#9 - 0

or any other combination imaginable... :-)

Most coaches will not decrease a players scholarship but they may increase the award is some instances.

Keep in mind that at some schools depending on your financial situation and how many kids you have in college need based aid can amount to more than an athletic scholarship, Also, academic/merit money can also be awarded at many schools.

I would say that 'a good percent" is in the eye of the beholder.... 30% athletic scholarship at a 70K per year University would not be enough for many but would be great for others...

Stony brook is known for decreasing scholarships to kids who underperform and giving $$ to girls performing well