Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the true issue with teams having holdbacks? Is it that the opposing teams are unable to compete? Are people concerned their child loses time in the spotlight?

If your child is good, playing against/with holdbacks seems to facilitate the younger players development at a faster rate.
If your kid cannot compete with the holdbacks, he won’t compete in high school. Maybe when he’s a senior, otherwise he is riding the Pine.

Uhhh… my kid already competes with older kids because he’s on age! Your kid can’t so you held him back. So who won’t be able to compete in HS? What are you going to do when he’s on the 3rd team as a junior? Hold him back again?

Your logic is the worst.

Didn’t assume a Hawks dad could calculate through the logic, so here it goes:

Your wunderkind who is playing on-age, and getting run over by the holdbacks (otherwise you wouldn’t be complaining), will never sniff the turf in HS until he’s a Senior, when he’s playing kids ranging from only one year older to 2 years younger. His first 3 years he’s playing against these God-forsaken holdbacks that are 4, 3, 2 years older than your little Johnny. Best of luck with that. But keep complaining, maybe you’ll find lots of sympathy from the other dads whose kids are on age (guess what— mine is not only on-age, but a very young on-age kid, not because I’m some virtuoso against the holdback thing, I just planned poorly, I suppose).

Get over the holdback thing— it’s not changing, it’s the way it is. If your kid is on age and playing competitively in Elite 2028, congratulations, he has beaten the odds and might see the field by his Junior year.