Originally Posted by Anonymous
Looking for top notch attack instruction. Real top shelf instruction. Not a high school or college kid. Any suggestions?

Where do you live? How old is your son?

Live in Suffolk. My son is a varsity starter on a very good team. Needs work on his dodging. Only looking for elite level instruction.

Not sure if they do it but I would approach SBU asst , and see if they will do it. I would pay to have them evaluate his game , determine what “type” of player he is and what “style” of play suits his athletic abilities and what style suits his physical as well as mentality / IQ.

There are many types of great attackman , Bernhardt , Sowers, O’Keefe, Ament, Thompson etc… they are all different.

One of the worst things an athlete can do is try to be something he is not. It’s ok to strengthen your weaknesses but the best players find a style of play that takes advantage of their strengths.

IMHO

Interesting analogy, and some good advice. Thank you. I’m going to try it. However I’d say that Thompson, Sowrs and Ament are all very close as far as what they do and how they do it, on the field. O’keefe is obviously a shooter, I’ll give you that one. Haven’t seen Bernhardt play. How do you think sowers and Ament are different? Look exactly the same to me.

Thompson is not anything like Sowers or Ament. Different type of athletes, different style of play. Sowers and Ament are similar. Bernhardt is a different animal all together. Different type of athlete different style of play.

Having your son sit with a high level coach and watch his film can help a lot. Also, identify a high level attackman with similar athletic traits to your son and have your son study his film as well. Understanding defensive schemes goes a long way also, knowing how the defense will slide, rotate, recover etc… will allow him to make quicker and better decisions both with and without the ball more consistently. Improving his off ball game is very important as well. Obviously you can never spend too much time on stick skills and shooting.