Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son went to a showcase in Maryland recently. Beforehand we did some research on some me schools to see who had his intended major and what seemed a good lacrosse fit. He reached out ahead of time to contact coaches saying he’d be there, sent tape, etc. pretty quick afterwards 2 of them reached out and basically said you’d be a good fit, come visit, etc. we then started getting emails from the school about the admissions process, open houses, after we expressed possible interest back. It’s still very early in the school search process, how should we handle those schools that reached out? Are they possible? Maybe but at this point just dipping our toe in. Are the expecting us to get heavily involved in some way? He’s a junior middie (really the faceoff part is what they want). D3 schools. Thanks in advance.

Unless your son has zero interest in attending the school I would have him engage and start the process, see where it goes. If he has a genuine interest in a particular school, make sure all of the coaches at the school know he is legitimately interested. Even if his interest is only moderate he should engage, it’s good experience and when other coaches ask who else he is talking to he will have some schools. Coaches know what they like but they also like validation.