Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is no shame in not getting accepted into a top 10 academic school. So many applicants have extraordinary credentials and don't get selected. It's amazing that their average GPA is 4+ and SAT score is over 1500. If you remove their special populations: recruited athlete, donor, legacy, faculty children, under-represented minority, first generation college student (all of whom potentially account more than 1/2 of the admitted class), how much higher would those averages as well as those extracurricular standards get? It really is an impossible academic standard.

I can't speak for lacrosse because I have a son who is not of a recruiting age yet but I do have a son that swims in the Ivy League and he had a 93 average and 1180 on his SAT. There was a ZERO percent chance that he was getting in without swimming. He was an All America in HS and now is doing well academically and athletically but I will reiterate he was not going Ivy without swimming. For athletes the standards are less but that is because they have excelled in other areas and colleges (including the Ivies) want students who bring other things to the school.

That’s a great story even if it isn’t lacrosse related. Congratulations to your som for both his academic and athletic success in college.