Originally Posted by Anonymous
Good points. Two things to comment on here:

As stated many times in this forum, you no longer need to be on any specific club to go to the college you hope for. ANY club will get you to a good college (Ivy League is obviously a little different). The majority of the NJ kids are already very good students; with probably a high percentage over a 3.5 GPA and most closer to a 4.0. The club you have been with will get you into the same school as any other club. There are kids up and down NJ over the past 6 years basically going to every lax school in America.

ID or Prospect Days. These are a good way for the coaching staffs at potential colleges to get familiar with the player (and for them to make some money). One of the most important things that was taught to us was to reach out early in your sophomore year and before your summer tournaments to let your top 5-7 colleges know where you are going to be playing. Build that relationship earlier. Send them the first email. Then send them the highlight reel. Then send them your schedule. Then remind them the week of where your going to be. IDENTIFY these schools based on your talent. If your #18 on your team do not reach out to Penn State!!
Disclaimer: this does not apply for the elite kids, usually the top 7 on a team. They are basically going to go where ever they choose because they are that good. And I am not saying every club in NJ has an elite top 7, some might only have a few.

Showcases. Three years ago there was like 3. Now there are over 20 and the scouts are going to most of them (Showtime, 1%, Best in Class, Iron 44, Adrenaline, APEX, Beast thing, NXT, NLF thing, Main Stage, 5 Star, etc and tons more). Apply and get into them. Even if you only get into one it might help you get seen.

Go to a school where you think you will be able to get playing time by junior year. Don't pick a school you wont play at. Look at their previous 2 years commitments to help get an idea. That is why even the elite kids change schools their senior year in HS. Who wants to go to lets say Cuse if they signed 8 attacks the last two years and your an attackman.

And these clubs carrying 25 players is ridiculous. It also impacts the overall team performance when the lower level kids have to get playing time. With so many kids playing lax now, there are not many kids in that 20-25 player range going D-1.

5 attack
6 middies
2 d middies
1 faceoff
2 lsm
5 defenders
2 goalies

Total of 23, two of which are goalies.
I think most of the Showcases only have 22 but cant be sure.

Good post. Enjoyed reading it. Thank you for this.

Informative post with actual intelligent directions. I agree with you on the fact these clubs are carrying to many kids, especially at the high school level. They are just trying to grab extra money from the bottom 5 players.

I’m not a fan of big rosters but sometimes it is necessary. Showcases might have 22 players, but they’re only worried about one day out of the year. Injuries, conflicts, etc. happen. I can’t justify a roster of 30+ but I’m not sure 25 is “ridiculous” considering how much lacrosse is being played.
Especially true in HS in the fall when half the roster is unavailable.

While it can sometimes be a burden, bigger numbers make a difference in when it is 90 degrees, humid and you are playing 3 tournament games in a day for two days each weekend. But as we all know, if the game is on the line, that bench gets very short.