Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 12 yr old is only accepting offers from Cuse and Duke. But first, he has to do 3 years of middle school, 5 years of high school, and a post grad year. He's hoping to go in as a 21 year old freshman so that he can buy beers for all the other incoming freshman.

We're planning on spending 4 years of college tuition cost on travel teams, training, and private schools so that he can get a scholarship to college.

He plays on a daddy ball travel team, but says the coaching

stinks. Which is weird because I coach the team. We're thinking about switching to a team where he'll be the 30th best player on the roster because that travel team is really going to help him get into college. It's OK that he'll never play in a tournament because he'll get sweet gear and he'll be able to tell his friends who are better than he is that his team will beat theirs.

And this is all set in stone. I'm not worried about burnout, drugs and alcohol, injuries, etc. This has to be determined before he has even gone thru puberty, otherwise he won't get into college...this all makes sense, right?

Absolute best post I’ve seen on this forum!

Great post. But more accurate to state "We're planning on spending 4 years of college tuition cost on travel teams, training, and private schools so that he can get a "partial" scholarship to college. With Title IX very few schools offer full scholarships for boys who do not play football and basketball. For example in socceri (he sport I played), mens could only offer 9 scholarships. We had 20 guys on scholarship. Yes there were a few full rides (not me) but most received 1/4 or 1/2 scholarships. Chasing after full scholarships in lacrosse in downright silly But this does not stop parents who do not understand the system and cannot actually judge ability talent or desire to think they are producing a scholarship kid. Just let them play and focus on this when they are in 11th grade.

Your mistake is assuming that everyone is chasing a scholarship. I just love lacrosse. I love watching my son play a sport he is passionate about. I enjoy the tournaments with friends. I appreciate that my son works hard and it is fun seeing him develop as a person and an athlete. A scholarship would be icing on the cake, but it is not the end game for everyone.