These conversations all revolve around the elite kids of which there may be 30-50 in any given class, the vast majority will not have the same experience. For those of you that this may help I will give you our experience. My daughter was considered a mid to low D1 recruit. Got a call at midnight on 9/1 and several emails. The midnight call was in our wheelhouse, great academics with a great price. We were on campus within two weeks but they were still evaluating and wanted to wait to the fall. Followed up with emails to the others with varying degrees of communication. Day before fall tourneys my daughter comes down with Mono, she was back in two weeks. She wasn't the same for the entire fall tourney season. First school communicated that they were not making an offer as we were packing for the IWCLA tourney (gut punch) Did a visit at another D1 school in the winter and they were willing to make an offer if my daughter was interested, she was not. She chose a top D2 school that was a fit for her. Lessons we learned; can you handle losing for 4 years, how much you put into is how much you get out of it, coaches recruiting is not very sophisticated, film is vital, don't underestimate smaller less attended showcases (the chance to standout goes along way) defenders are the hardest position to get recruited, never know what tomorrow brings (mono), you cant get to all schools and camps don't try, you will probably windup at a school you didn't expect and most important of all don't let it consume you- its a marathon not a race. PS I didn't learn the last one until it was over.