Originally Posted by Anonymous
Tillman was planning his day, I want to watch these 3 teams play against LE because they are my baseline. Really!

This is just an absurd discussion for many reasons. It's amazing how a ridiculous post about NJ teams morphed into a who's watching what games discussion. If anybody thinks that guys like Tillman or Tiffany were planning their day around LE, they are nuts. For the most part, they are looking at specific kids, not a club, and I imagine that on occasion they stumble across an under the radar kid. Go to a prospect day, these coaches will be very honest and tell you how many kids they actively pursue in any given year, the number is surprisingly low.

Agree with the first part of your post. There are too many kids to watch, especially at an NAL tournament, to follow one team around.

I disagree with the remainder of what you’ve said. In today’s recruiting landscape, college coaches have to have an even bigger list of prospects than before. The floodgates open on September 1st, even during covid kids were committed within days. They’ll formulate A,B,C etc. lists and scout out a good amount of players. Even if the top 10% of players on a team drew them to the game, those will not be the only players they have notes on!

On the note of prospect days, be wary. They are money makers for the assistants and support staff. It is a great way to get in front of a desired school but they do want to have a full camp. A good club coach/director should be in touch with the coach and be able to gauge their level of interest.

I certainly respect the response, but the info about the number of kids that top schools actively recruit came from the coach of a top 10 program, just passing along what was relayed to the kids. I do not doubt that they scout and rank a ton of kids, but but actively recruiting a kid is much different.

Simply out of curiosity, what number was relayed to the kids and how recently? I would imagine that number gets larger as you move down the rankings from the top 10 programs, but this is purely conjecture.

You’re definitely correct that the number of kids they take time to get to know personally on visits and actively pursue is much lower. I sometimes think the fluidity and subjectivity of the process is understated, especially here.[/quote]

It was a recent prospect camp, and surprisingly, you could count on one hand, and you didn't need every finger, the number of kids that they were really targeting. I have also been told that they dig pretty deep in order to really get to know a kid, outside of lacrosse ability and grades, they also focus on the family, they don't want a kid who's parents will be a pain in the butt for four years.