Originally Posted by Anonymous
[/quote]

Quick comparison of two teams with identical records in 2019 (Jacksonville: 17 - 4 and North Carolina: 17 - 4). According to your logic these teams should be considered equal and have the same "Ranking". Maybe if the competed against each other the game would have resulted in a tie.

Jacksonville Record: 17 - 4

Ranking: Not ranked at the end of the season.

Jacksonville played 3 Top 20 Teams (#11, #13, #17) Lost to all three Top 20 Teams.

Jacksonville played 0 Top 10 Teams.

Jacksonville had 0 Top 20 wins.

Jacksonville had 1 loss to an unranked team.

North Carolina Record: 17 - 4

Ranking: # 3

UNC played 12 Top 20 Teams (#1, #2 three times, #4, #5, #7 twice, #9, #13 twice, #15) 8 - 4 vs Top 20.

9 opponents were Top 10.

6 opponents were Top 5

UNC had 8 wins Vs Top 20 Teams.

5 Wins vs Top 10 Teams.

3 Wins vs Top 5 Teams.

1 Win vs the # 2 Team.

Lost to # 1 National Champion by 1 goal in OT.

BTW... UNC played #21 twice, #24, and #25 twice....

17 of 21 games were played Vs Top 25 Teams.

Sorry, In women's Division I Lacrosse a teams record means very little when comparing or evaluating teams.

We are not talking about UNC or Jacksonville, we are talking about this years Va Tech team. They are 3-7. Those wins were against Liberty, Longwood and Radford. They lost to some very good teams but lost to unranked Davidson. Hopefully they can win one more or perhaps two more but it will be difficult. Beating Louisville would have been a good win and perhaps the only shot at an ACC win, but they lost. Please do not tell me their record means very little. Their record shouts out mediocre to me[/quote]

I will jump in on this one. I believe the overall discussion was about the premise that a teams record is not necessarily indicative of where a team should be ranked.

Your argument does not support the contention that a teams record (alone) accurately reflects how strong a particular team is. Your argument is actually based on the fact that Virginia Tech lost to an unranked Davidson Team and that they do not have any quality wins vs Top 20 teams. It is not solely based on Virginia Techs Record.

Simply put, a teams record is not a very good barometer to use when comparing teams.

As the above comparison illustrates, the "own your record" phrase is ridiculous.[/quote]

So Va Tech is last in the competitive ACC. They just played the other cellar dweller Louisville and lost, they lost to the team above that in Duke and the team above that in Virginia. So they are in last place. They still have one more game each against both Duke and Virginia. A win against one of those would help them get some credibility.

I understand where you are coming from in regards to an overal record not meaning as much. Duke is 6-5 with no losses outside of the ACC. That is why they are ranked. Va Tech lost to Davidson and Jacksonville. Jacksonville is ranked. At the time Va Tech was ranked but obviously no more. Beating Florida was a nice win for Jacksonville...but let's be honest, if Jacksonville was in the ACC they would probably only have 1 win. (Va Tech)