Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, parents giving absurd money to club teams and “showcases” to get an athletic scholarship. Go back and read the tread.
That’s nice you want a great education or your kids, but most people do it for their kids to actually “play” at the next level. You don’t need to “use” lacrosse to get into those schools you just know it is the easiest route to do so...point made.

"...point made." I don't think so...

I believe the post that you are responding to states "use lacrosse to Help" get into what many would consider one of many great schools. The post also stated "and have them be part of a college team". So yes, many on this site have chosen to use lacrosse in order to help put their children in a better position to be accepted to a great college / university while at the same time provide them with the opportunity to enjoy all of the positives and benefits that go along with being part of a team. Some of us believe that athletics play a large role in the education of our children. Sports in general but especially team sports teach many lessons that will benefit our children throughout their life. Two of my kids who were both multi sport athletes are playing in college and both are at great schools that they would not have gotten into without lacrosse (and they were both good students). My children have all made friends along the way (as have my wife and I) and I am sure that many of their college teammates will be their close friends for life.

You state "parents giving absurd money to club teams and showcases to get an athletic scholarship" ... again, I have not seen much chatter about scholarships on here. I have seen a lot of talk regarding "recruiting" and the process not so much on scholarships.

I am curious though, do you believe that other sports are free? Do you believe that the top soccer and basketball players do not pay to be on club teams and participate in showcases?

If you think in this day and age getting into the Top Schools is easy you haven't had a child go through the process. If you did, and it was easy well then congratulations. In my experience, the kids that are playing lacrosse at the college worked pretty hard and are continuing to do so. Another benefit that lacrosse provides is the extensive networking opportunities that are available for those who choose to take advantage of the lacrosse network.

It sounds like you are bitter about something.