Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just look at the stats. Grade point average for students admitted to the University of Virginia 4.35, Georgetown 4.01 ,Cornell 4.07 and UPenn 3.88 all out of 4.0. They all have the same ACT and SAT scores. They all seem very similar with Virginia being the highest admitted grade point average and Upenn being the lowest. I find it hard to believe that there is a distinction between any of these schools.

Double checked the grade point average listed. They are correct with the exception of Cornell. Cornell is a 3.9. So the highest GPAs of those schools are Virginia which is the highest and Georgetown is the second highest. U Penn is the lowest. Everybody including prospective employers knows the Ivy League schools do not take the smartest kids anymore.

GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance. Every HS has its own way to calculate GPA so its not apples to apples.

Pretty sure most if not all Ivy's use an "unweighted" GPA (4.0 scale) for admissions... Many schools do in fact use a "weighted" GPA that is why some schools show higher than a 4.0.... Also, High Schools are all very different some being more competitive than others... definitely not comparing apples to apples... and, as the post above states, "GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance".[/quote]

All colleges use weighted. I think the point is that all the GPAs are so close between the top colleges and the Ivy league that prospective student should not pick a school just because it is Ivy League. There are other options that will give a student the same opportunities. One consideration with the Ivy schools that many fail to consider is the type of student that attends an Ivy may not be what a lacrosse player will fit in.It is very important to fit in and that is why maybe some other options in the top 20 - 30 would better suit a student athlete and make them more successful and happy.[/quote]

I know many, many lacrosse players who attended or are currently enrolled at Ivy League schools going back to the 1970's and the vast majority are very happy with their decisions. My son has several friends at Ivy league schools (he does not attend an Ivy) but his friends appear to be happy with their choice.