Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Word to the wise, I'm not promoting travel but if your son is gonna get recruited he better be playing for a club big or small!

Unfortunately, I agree. The degree to which you need to do showcases will depend on two other things: (1) the strength of the club team; and (2) to a lesser extent, the high school your son plays for. Stronger the club and HS, the less need there is to do showcases. Showtime was always considered the best showcase, but the invitations were locked up by the big clubs and politically connected coaches. People on here will complain about UA, but that has historically been packed with coaches and provided awesome exposure. LI tends not to do great, but your kid will get seen, so don't listen to the naysayers. Finally, the only way any of this works is if your kid is emailing coaches consistently and letting them know where he will be playing. Include pinney # and schedule in your email. Even at showcases, you cannot assume you will be seen unless you notify them in advance. Highly recommend Sportsrecruits. It is very easy to use and lets you know when coaches open emails and watch highlight videos. Bottom line is that the top 100 kids in each year get chased. Everyone else needs to aggressively market themselves. Good luck!!

These are very different times. My son was talking to 3 top 25 D1 teams. When the spring season was cancelled, they all slowed down. One of them made us feel like they were making an offer in September. But once they extended the dead period, they all passed on him and offered to do a PG year. He played on a good travel program, we went to the school prospect camps that he was interested in and did the prospect camps. A D2 school came out of nowhere and made him an offer that he expected. He didn’t want to play for a D1 program that had no chance of winning anything. I would still stick to the plan of going to the schools your son is interested in first. If you see one of those schools will be at a showcase then go to that too.