Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
WSYL should change its system, and limit the radius to 15-25 miles. The idea of super teams for youth lacrosse is ridiculous, but the WSYL has turned a blind eye - and I really can't understand why and why limiting the radius would hurt the event. Having said that, I don't know that it would change the greater New York City area's dominance, as the huge population pool to draw from will always work in their favor because there will be more great kids to choose from compared to rural areas. WYSL should create population districts, analogous to Little League, but make them a bit bigger than Little League since lacrosse isn't as popular throughout the country. Rural areas would have a bigger population base to draw from, which would even things out nationwide. The system right now is broken and incentivizes terrible behavior which involves kids. WSYL needs to be a leader and step up.

I agree, but 15-25 is too small for some areas for lacrosse. I dont know what the answer is, but it probably isnt mileage, 50 from the center of LI still covers almost all of LI, and much of Conn, Northern NJ, and Westchester. I grew up on LI, that is a massive population pool to choose 25 players from. I live in the Charlottesville area now, some kids at the higher level need to travel that far to get to a team. There is no way they could compete with the ALL - LI plus team.

They can change the radius for different areas. They allow 200 miles for Canadian teams. That covers Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec. Probably easy to come up with 25 good players from those 10mil + people.