Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
what do you attribute the drop off to? its not just yorktown- John jay is struggling with numbers from high school to youth

John Jay I think is attributed to the fact that the head coach likes a short bench and players want to play. Also, a lot of the team historically was Primetime as youth players who eventually got cut as late middle school and HS players so they stopped playing. The Assistant coach is PT head. Look at the make up of PT youth versus the PT HS teams. PT youth has many John Jay kids versus a few on the HS travel teams. Unfortunately many of these boys look at PT as the only team worth playing as they get older since they played with them at the younger age and stop playing. This has been happening for a few years now.

Y's drop off, is still leading the Section and I agree that Y is no longer what it use to be. But the Y program has set the bar high and continues to be the dominate program within the section (and I'm not from Y).
I have posted before that the Y alumni are not happy and that there has been a signature win in a long time. The slow decline from the top is unavoidable.

J is just Y's younger brother that always wants to overcome it's sibling, especially since the J head coach is a Y (and Section I) legend. Also, I have heard from one J alumni that youth level has diminished due to the lack of lax experienced people/coaches moving into the school district. The housing market in that area is a huge hurdle for some to return.

PT - is an exceptional program! I have first hand experience, as my son WAS on the 2026 team. Brian Smith is a great HC and Nick is extremely organized.