Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You would be surprised how many kids don't play much because for some reason they just stay at the end of the lineup on the sideline. I asked my son why he is playing so much recently and he said its because he is not taking himself out when he is on the field until the coach hauls him out or he is tired and other kids just stay at the end of the line. My son isn't one of the best kids, probably in the middle. I asked if there are other kids who didn't play much and he said yes because basically they are standing at the end of the line away from the coach. As a parent I think that maybe we all want the coach's to be on the sideline with a spreadsheet of players names and how much time they are getting but that's not reality unfortunately. My son has been on both sides of this starting out as the kid at the end of the line with no confidence but he has learned from his mistakes it seems. Is it a confidence thing, who knows but if your kid isn't getting enough minutes tell him to be on the coach's hip the whole game in front of the line to start with. If that's not working find another team where his talent level where get him into the game. AND I'm not a coach, just a parent who has seen both sides of getting no playing time and getting more playing time then others.

As much as I detest to agree with this. Not an Express parent at all and will tie it in to other sports. My sons time on the court in basketball went up almost doubled when I realized the coach literally looked down and would grab whatever kid was sitting next to him to make subs, it was always the same kids who rotated the seats coming on and off. I told my son you make sure never to be more then 3 spots away in hoops and boom his time increased. In box, you will see a kid not touch the field, they go to the end of the sub line and never move back to the front of the line. While Express numbers tend to be crazy, I think this guy has a very valid point. You need to make yourself available. They are not worrying about some kids 3 minutes when he is 20 kids away

As a hs bball coach this is exactly correct.