Originally Posted by Anonymous
Overall a solid event - teaming up by commitment was a great way for players to play alongside future teammates. Lots of talent on the field, as much on display during the drills as during the games. Hero ball got a little out of control in last 1-2 games, as uncommitted kids try to force their ways on to some tape - not the most enjoyable to watch but not unlike any other showcase out there.

As far as trying to tear down some of these kids individually - that is just nauseating, and I suspect a way to declare the "rankings a joke" because someone's kid is not ranked as highly as daddy wants. My son has played for years against and occasionally alongside all three players torn down in this post - all there are top talents. MD bound goalie and D and among top in class at position. The LIDS kid gets so much grief on this board and I can't imaging how small of a person goes that route. Maybe he is not at top 3 at position, but he can put the ball in the net and plays high IQ off ball when sharing the field with the almost otherworldly top 3 guys.

Of course college coaches don't care about the rankings. It would be gross incompetence to rely on them rather than their own work. But to come to a board to snark on 16-17 year old kids to make you feel better about your own kid's ranking or lack thereof says a lot more about the poster than the players referenced.

Good post. Here's my take on the event. Solid (a strong B grade) but not as much depth as the Juniors Open (which was an A). More Showcase "me ball" vs the Open where everyone was told on day one, you're being evaluated on your ability to be a "we" guy. Also this Showcase pre-commitment vs post for many of the top players. In other words, not every 4 or 5 star is going to push the accelerator to the floor every tournament after he's committed. That's just human nature and reality.