Originally Posted by Anonymous
Lax is my favorite sport and my sons. They also play travel football and hockey (dropped soccer years ago). All the sports they play at a very high level are based on on birth year, period-with the exception of lacrosse. One of my kids is January bday and one is Dec. Advantage for one, disadvantage for the other but they still made all their respective travel A teams and compete. There is no logical argument for any kids playing YOUTH sports not to be strictly aged based. Once kids get into High school years I have no problem with rules going grade based. My Dec son had to play soccer a year up and hockey and football continually, but it is fair and creates a level playing field. I'm no snowflake. This is just simple, reasonable stuff. Lacrosse rules, or lack there of are a joke.

Everyone knows it is the right thing to do, Unfortunately many lacrosse coaches sons in the top clubs are holdbacks and will be for years to come as many do prefirst or heldback from starting school.

In Youth lax, Hold backs should compete on age like everyone else. If the graduation year grouping is due to recruiters, then keep at HS. Recruiters aren’t looking at elementary or middle school kids.

Other sports seemed to have figured out how to recruit kids while playing age-based. It's just not that hard.