Originally Posted by Anonymous
Anyone have any thoughts about the UAAA tryouts?
This years format unfortunately had no drills segment so you had three different twenty minute games. If your daughters team had a good offense and she was D she probably never broke a sweat, vise-versa. Boo on that format.
Some coaches were better at keeping the teams rotating than others.
I know everyone like to say that the teams are mostly predetermined but a few girls that went to callback were result of back-scratching. And a MCD varsity girl who performed well did not make callback!
I do like to see good lacrosse played so I’m happy for the girls that got through. Although putting yourself down as attack or defense to stick out from the crowded midfield group is suspect and noted amongst the crowd.

No tshirts this year - just bc we’re in Covid doesn’t mean they can’t find something besides a pinnie to give these kids. CHEAP!

Playing for McD varsity doesn't automatically qualify you for anything. The girl I assume you are referring to has hardly played the last two years. The 2 2022 McD players that made the team are much bigger parts of the McD team than the 2021 player that didn't. Also, the 2021 girl you are referring to has never made a UA team while the 2 2022s have now made it for the second year in a row. Almost all the girls that made the team have been on a UA team previously. For 7 of them it is their 3rd straight year on the team. In terms of the structure of the tryout, every girl played in the same structure. Is it a perfect system of course not. There's no way it can be. And yes, girls that have made the team before and are known by the coaches have a better chance. But every year like clockwork people run here to complain. Everyone complained last year. Both Baltimore teams won the championship last year so maybe the evaluators know what they're looking at.