Originally Posted by Anonymous

So you Son who is an August Birthday will graduate at 18? In NY he is a hold back, my son is also an August Birthday. He will be 17 at graduation. Also you said it perfect, " if the best kids cant play with kids 8-14 months with in their age they cant play D-1" So why repeat a grade. If your good your good you do not need to repeat and re-classify. But If you know your average well then do what you have to do. it all evens out in college. I hope your son and his friend enjoy the extra year of HS.

Any kid who turns 18 and graduates is appropriately aged in NY State. My son turns 18 in April and is graduating and is not a hold back

An on age August birthday in NY would start their senior year having just turned 17, and not turn 18 till the summer after their graduation from high school. So an August birthday who is 18 when they graduate is a holdback.

A few things. I was the one who posted about my son and turning eighteen. To begin with, the idea that this conversation is still going on after my post in January (approx 4 months ago) is humorous. I check this site every few months or so and when I saw this I laughed bc boy do people have issues. Secondly, I made a typo. My son does turn 18 in August as was posted so he will be 17 and not 18 at graduation and will turn 18 right before college. I will reiterate that if he plays against 19 year olds WHO CARES. He will be better than some and worse than others. As for the above comment about boys who turn 18 in August going into their senior year they are clearly holdbacks. This is 100% wrong. I know of 3 families whose children celebrate their birthday in August and will be 18 entering their senior year and none of them are holdbacks. Been friends with the families in the community since kindergarten when the only sport the boys played were t-ball. In fact none of them play lacrosse. One is soccer, one is tennis and one doesn't do any sports at all. None of these boys will be playing sports in college and NONE OF THEM ARE HOLDBACKS. so please, who ever is bitter and had their girl taken by a holdback keep this conversation going not only on this thread but every other thread (please note the sarcasm and have a drink). Look forward to reading the responses in 4 months when hopefully life has resumed and is back to normal and I come back to this site.