Originally Posted by Anonymous
A little off topic but is playing division 1 college lacrosse worth it? I understand that lacrosse is a means to an end in that your son can get into a better school through lacrosse. But by getting into that better school and playing lacrosse full time, what major can you take that will allow you the required study time to be successful? Being told you can't take majors that have labs or on job training because you need to be on the field doesn't sound very enticing. Kids taking dead end majors because of 4 years of d1 lacrosse doesn't sound worth it. I would like to hear from some of the members on this forum with their son's college lacrosse experiences whether they play or played d1, 2 or 3 lacrosse. I'm looking for the time commitment at the different levels and if possible the end result at graduation. When I asked a friend who played d1 hockey if he had to do it all over again would he, he replied no it was a job (6am practice and then 5pm practice). Now with the NCAA granting kids another year of college lacrosse does not make it very appealing for a kid entering college lacrosse the next 3-4 years. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I contemplated the same subject. I suggest to my son, don't get caught up in ALL the lacrosse hype. It's hype and that's all it is. If you can use it to maintain a path do so. Just don't become too focused on lax, because you will lose sight on things that matter. But to answer your question, I feel once that time comes regarding playing collegiate lax, then you make the decision. Even then, you don't know for sure.