Originally Posted by Anonymous
please don't get SUNY schools confused with these other schools. I speak firsthand as i trek into the city every AM regretting my decision to go to a SUNY. The SUNYs are great if you want to be an accountant, or go to a grad school... the other prestigious schools are the best path to banking, technology, trading, engineering or entrepreneurship. Plus from a location standpoint... each city is worse than the previous. Albany, Geneseo, Buffalo, Binghamton, Stony Brook.... geez, how depressing

Well said. SUNY is fine but if lax can get you son into a great school that is well recognized, figure out a way to pay for it. There is more than one option to pay for college. Lax is a great sport but why pick your college on your chances of playing in a National Championship? That is a terrible idea. For every D1 starter, there is no less than 10 broken hearts by injury, riding the bench, too much work, mental attitude, etc. College sports is brutal, every recruited player was a star back home.....

please don't get SUNY schools confused with these other schools. I speak firsthand as i trek into the city every AM regretting my decision to go to a SUNY. The SUNYs are great if you want to be an accountant, or go to a grad school... the other prestigious schools are the best path to banking, technology, trading, engineering or entrepreneurship. Plus from a location standpoint... each city is worse than the previous. Albany, Geneseo, Buffalo, Binghamton, Stony Brook.... geez, how depressing

Well said. SUNY is fine but if lax can get you son into a great school that is well recognized, figure out a way to pay for it. There is more than one option to pay for college. Lax is a great sport but why pick your college on your chances of playing in a National Championship? That is a terrible idea. For every D1 starter, there is no less than 10 broken hearts by injury, riding the bench, too much work, mental attitude, etc. College sports is brutal, every recruited player was a star back home.....

Figure out a way? Sure, great, I’ll just figure out a way. Maybe bankrupt my family. Perhaps remortgage the house. Maybe the other two can skip college and do something else so the lacrosse guy can go D1. How silly.

Definitely not silly. Is there anything more important than your child's education? Other than their health, no, IMO. Where there is a will there is a way to pay for college. Should a child run up $100k in loans, of course not.

Personally, I think they should have some skin in the game. $10k loan per year may keep them honest and focused on their school work. After college they can live at home for a year and pay $40k off. Student should also have job at home and in college (athletes most likely have zero time for job at college) .

Rich people on LI can pay for D1, poor people can get a ton of financial aid for a hard working smart student. Middle class/upper middle on LI have it tough. Even there, lifestyle changes can help a lot.

Seems to me, most parents lease 2 cars, big vacations and eat out 3 times a week. Always trying to keep up with the Jones'. Is it that hard to scale back? What about a second job? That's how my father got us through college.

Everyone is in different situations but to say that sacrificing for a respected D1 college for your child is "silly", is plain ignorant.

Wall Street guy again. Harvard or SUNY New Paltz...makes no difference to us when hiring. What I see is the alumni bringing in "their guys" and the competition that breeds within the firm. Fairfield guys want to hire Fairfield grads and they compete against Binghamton guys--it creates a great atmosphere. How hard are you willing to work? Don't burden your kids or your family with student debt and if they are that driven to get a top tier education, someone will figure out a way to get it paid for. But the majority should look for a balanced college experience and for me that's D3.